Miguelito's untidy work bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Miguelito's untidy work bench

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with the TIE. I have that very same Italeri Spit in the stash so I will watch that with some interest. I've read somewhere or other in the past (probably on here!) that the fit is not great but as a regular builder of old classic kits, that's nothing new to me so I won't let that put me off :grin:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by mjatx »

skypirate wrote:I would say your Theory of Posting is proving successful!
That Tie Fighter pilot is looking quite comfortable.

Cheers,
David
Thanks, David.
Michael modeller 48 wrote:Yes, the build are moving fast!

Now i want a star war model in my stash....

I try to tape the wing up to the fuselage....that what putty is for.....

It is great doing a well fitting kit is it....
Thanks, Michael. This is the first of the new Bandai Star Wars kits I've built, but from what I've seen and heard, you can't go wrong with any of them. This one sure was nice to build. Now, I just need to get around to painting it. :roll:
Softscience wrote:Nice to see you back. I like watching your work. Thats a near looking TIE
Thanks!
ShaunW wrote:Great work with the TIE. I have that very same Italeri Spit in the stash so I will watch that with some interest. I've read somewhere or other in the past (probably on here!) that the fit is not great but as a regular builder of old classic kits, that's nothing new to me so I won't let that put me off :grin:
Thanks, Shaun. The Spitfire is a surprisingly nice kit. Obviously, it needs a little more TLC than some of the newer kits, but it's pretty well detailed and not that old after all. I think this one is from the mid to late-90s. It's a baby compared to some of the true classics.
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

The Italeri Spitfire is built, or as built as I'm going to get it before painting it. The canopy fit is terrible, so I'm considering posing it open. However, if I pose it open, then I really should have the door hanging open too. It's just that I don't like the door, so that would mean re-doing or spending more time on the door, then I'd have to put some seat belts in.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ah, the horrible issues us modeler's have to deal with! :-D

I still have a couple areas to clean up before priming it, but here it is almost ready (possibly) to head to the paint shop.

Fortunately, I was able to get two other models painted, so the queue ahead of the Spitfire is that much shorter.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Your Spitfire looks to be constructed nice and neatly. I like it :) Though I'm no fan of the clipped wing :-|

Nigel
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Your Spitfire looks to be constructed nice and neatly. I like it :) Though I'm no fan of the clipped wing :-|

Nigel
Thanks! I was actually thinking the clipped wings make it look a little "sportier" or something.
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

How is the Spit and Tie builds going....?
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:How is the Spit and Tie builds going....?
The Spitfire looks almost exactly like it does in the last photo. Except, I managed to knock off the antenna. Between the holidays and work, I've been a little distracted from the bench. Also, I've still got a few other projects I'm trying to finish up in between the TIE and Spitfire. :shock:

Speaking of the TIE. I was able to throw some paint on it. While priming it, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice that my air tank was too low, so the airbrush spit paint all over it. Luckily, I was just trying to do some pre-shading, so it wasn't that big an issue in the end.

Then I was able to get it painted. I did a few panels in chrome silver in an effort to break up the scheme a little. Of course, I ended up only doing panels that will be mostly out of sight when the model is complete, so not much use in them. :roll: Still a great little model to work on. It's not been clear coated and is ready for a couple decals, washes, etc.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

The TIE Interceptor is mostly completed. I think I'll probably touch up a few areas on, but nothing major. Just need to finish the base that comes with it. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and as I've said before and through out this build, Bandai absolutely nailed this one. Great to build, super detailed, and crisp/clean molding.

I've started painting the Spitfire. I'm not as inspired by this one, but want to try out some oil weather and other things, so this will be the guinea pig. We'll see how it goes. I woke up early one morning and rather than set up a noisy compressor for the air brush, I decided to break out the hairy stick.

First coat of Vallejo Green Brown + White

Second coat.

Third coat.

Last coat.

Now for some Vallejo Flat Earth + White

Two coats later.

Now, I'll finish up the extra details, get some decals on it and start the weathering process.
celt

Post by celt »

I have never done any sci-fi stuff,but your model is tempting me to try.Well tidy indeed.
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

That is really good job with slow build up of paint coats on the plane.

The canopy is looking great on the TIE so neat and clean....
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

celt wrote:I have never done any sci-fi stuff,but your model is tempting me to try.Well tidy indeed.
These Bandai kits are definitely worth giving a try. They're reasonably priced, and have a great fit.
Michael modeller 48 wrote:That is really good job with slow build up of paint coats on the plane.

The canopy is looking great on the TIE so neat and clean....
Thanks! You actually get multiple options for the canopy, a clear piece, a grey piece with no "glass" in it, or a black piece with no glass. Honestly, one of the pieces without any glass would work well enough and are intended for novice modelers. I went with the full clear part and had the option of painting the frames, using a normal decal for the frame, or using one of the sticker provided. I went with the sticker, and it turned out OK. Just need to smooth our a spot.

Hopefully, I'll finish the TIE before the premier of The Last Jedi this weekend!

The Spitfire is built and decaled and ready for some next steps.

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Excellent work with the hairy stick and the TIE is exquisite.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Nice looking Spitfire that.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Love that Tie fighter

Return to “Workbench Window”