Due for retirement

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Due for retirement

Post by skypirate »

Just for a change of pace here are three old models to be retired to make space in my display cabinets.

All 1/72. The German jets are both PM models. The F-4 is the last of many Airfix Phantoms I built over the years. They were cheap and plentiful back in the 80s.
One day the Revell kit will replace the Ho-229, and I expect to lay hands on the new Airfix FG.1 Phantom as soon as it is released.
Hmmmm....actually the Ta-183 would be relatively easy to repaint if I was that way inclined.
And there are the old Hasegawa MiG-23 and MiG-27 being retired as well.
Some others are starting to look nervous!

Cheers,

David
Clashcityrocker

Re: Due for retirement

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice looking builds. Will they be packed away somewhere out of sight for the rest of their days, or broken up and sent to the spares box or even the bin :shock:

Nigel
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Wow! Great that you've held on to these for so long. My completed kits seem to have a much shorter shelf life. I've been modeling for 30 years, but I think the oldest kit in my collection is MAYBE ten! And it's and oddity to have lived so long.

Nice to see these being documented before they go, but maybe they deserve a more thorough photo-eulogy before you send them off?

They deserve to.br digitally memorialized.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Softscience wrote:They deserve to.br digitally memorialized.
Very kind of you to say so, Ralph.
This is it! :ha:

My oldest model still with me (because it is the oldest I remembered to keep), is the Matchbox Hs 126, built around 1976/77. Of course, over the years many old models have been disposed off, some because they were of a poor standard, and some because they were too big to bother with when moving house (Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster, Italeri 1/48 SR-71), or both!

Cheers,

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A great set of your older builds, David. I operate a similar system in that older builds that aren't up to the standards of what I do now (or that are slowly falling to bits!) are gradually retired to allow space for new completions. The only stuff I have from the early days of my modelling in the '70's are some tank models and they have survived principally because they are small and don't eat up shelf space.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

And what will be their fate?
vacant

Post by vacant »

Strip them down, repaint them and add new decals. Things that are 'retired' don't have to be confined to oblivion.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I think that Vacany's suggestion is a good one. Those models all look salvageable to me - in fact they look pretty darned good!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Will they be packed away somewhere out of sight for the rest of their days, or broken up and sent to the spares box or even the bin :shock: Nigel
They will probably be sold off for a song at IPMS, or failing that, given to anyone who wants them.

Yikes! I'm not looking for more work! These are very basic/primitive models.
What about all the kits in the stash? Time would be better spent there (or on worthwhile historic restorations - in my mind, these don't qualify).

Thanks for your interest and encouragement!

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”