Simon's Space

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
SJPONeill
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Simon's Space

Post by SJPONeill »

Just to keep up the allure of the dark side...Two new paper models released this week by the prolific Russian designer, Maxim aka MaksArt…
https://yadi.sk/i/RqhB3AJh3PvhGU;

https://yadi.sk/i/kix4l-563PvhaY;

Both are in 1/25 and include some interior detail...Maxim's complete library is available here... https://yadi.sk/d/VN5kAjdPiFpfL;

Just saying, y'know...
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
The World According To Me
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

I added the rather simplistic gun mounts last night. I think this now puts paid to any idea that I might have had about installing full guns based on something like the Modelik 1/25 Hummel. Once the interior is painted black and the roof plate is in place, there shouldn’t be be too much to see in there anyway…

Braces for the mount plates are provided in the kit but I’m going to fix the barrels in place i.e. non-elevating, so the beam that runs between the mounts and holds the barrels should be reinforcing enough…

I also added some supports to the turret roof to help carry the weight of the flight deck. I’ll bevel the end of the beams so that they fit nicely onto those supporting the turret sides…
Please critique my posts honestly i.e. say what you think so I can learn and improve...
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Holy cow! It's Southern Hemisphere Simon. I haven't seen you on here in forever! Welcome back! And what a cool project you've got there!
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

JamesPerrin wrote:I keep thinking "you know he's gonna build the rest of that battleship one day"
Did a little more research on this one...

Tempting though it has been at times, the finished product would be based on this (http://www.kartonmodellshop.de/shop/lei ... -3623.html;) but six times larger so about 5.2 metres long....I think that puts paid to that idea, although I may enlarge the turrets of some other warships later, much later I think...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Test fit of the gun room roof…I still need to fine tune the shaping of the armour thickness around the gun ports…I’ll spray putty this and smooth it off before fixing the roof in place:hopefully that will reduce the amount of dust that that will drift into the gun room itself – although dust deterrence is still a long term problem to be solved…

Fixing supports for the crew room walls in place and shaping liners for the rear wall. Without these, the rear wall would be nothing more substantial that a sheet of 160gsm paper…The liners will have to be pre-curved to match the profile of the rear of the turret...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I like the way this is coming together, a good bit of neat and tidy construction.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
celt

Post by celt »

Wow,thats amazing,just amazing work.
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Adding rear supports for the crew room roof..had to shim one of the supports after some lazy measuring/cutting…I’m probably hideously over-engineering all this but I have had paper models, in the past, slowly start to sag under weight and want to avoid that here…
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

The last few days have been quite busy in real life plus I have been thinking on how to best support the rear wall of the crew room. I thought of using soft wire or foam board to create a support for the edges of the wall plates…but in the end, I opted for good old card templates…

Seen here all labelled up so I can remember which way is which…

...and here the bottom plates being clamped into place while the PVA dries. I’ve indented each plate to allow for the the thickness of the card I’m using for the rear wall plates…
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I like the way this is progressing. If it ain't clamped it ain't glued, right? :grin:

IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Fixing the templates to the top of the crew room…

We’ve got some real summer weather now – for how long who knows – so maximising outdoors time at the moment and only getting little bits of modelling done...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Added the top plates to the crew room roof last night…
…after all the mods and fettling, they fitted really well…
…with just some minor touch ups required…
I have made up two parts for the back plates but this morning, as I’m looking at it, I wondering it I wouldn’t be better off using a single piece in order to get a smoother curve around the rear surface and avoid the join (with any commensurate changes to the curve) in the middle…
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Good progress, Simon. Personally I'd go with the single piece idea for the back plate, at least to start with, it might take a bit of clamping to get it to fix but I tend to agree that a smoother curve will be achieved and certainly there will be no join to worry about.

IPMS#12300
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

Had another look at it last night, Shaun, and I'll need to trim back the centre former as it runs right to the edge but I think the design is generic enough that I will be able to get away with not indenting the back plate between the floor and the roof as just butt-joining it directly to the rearmost faces, then trimming it to fit around corners and angles...
SJPONeill

Post by SJPONeill »

A pretty painless process...
...a single piece extending right around the rear wall...
...once the glue has fully cured I'll do the final trimming to fit and then we will be back in the gun room...

Return to “Workbench Window”