Michael's Modeller 48 "Mucking About" STASH

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Re: Michael's Modeller 48 "Mucking About" STASH

Post by mattbacon »

Hi Michael... I don't know if you knew, but Roden do the "Post Bus" from WED in 1/72:

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/a ... 1-72/20817;

And if you find some of these:

You have all the ingredients for a fab diorama...

best,
M.
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

Thanks that is cool, I remember the bus being red in the movie.

I do not know how to build dioramas or bases. But I could set them together!

I have a tamyia kubelwagen in 1:48 scale. Need to find a Airfix in 1:72

I saw a build (Uamf) of one it is size of a quarter! I would have trouble with building it...
Michael modeller 48

I found a couple screenshots of the bus and Richard and Clint in German winter camo.

Turn out it is red and white top with a snow plow.

Plus one British soldiers and three German double agents

*Spoiler ALERT* it is guy on left that get IT out side the bar!
Michael modeller 48

New addition to my stash:

Revell's North America p-51B 1/32

A lady at church found this find at an estate sale. It is a vintage kit from the 60's?

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Yikes. Revells mustangs from the period have some interesting shapes.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

1969 according to Scalemates. Interestingly Revell have just released their new tool Mustang in 1/32, I'll do a review when it arrives chez iggie
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Michael modeller 48

Softscience wrote:Yikes. Revells mustangs from the period have some interesting shapes.
Yikes? Luckily it was a gift...interesting shapes not correct to the original plane? Or hard tooling to build?

Any particular area or parts that have interesting shapes?

I plan to do a in-box review (well not a review more a photo thread of what is in the box).

I consider this kit a practice kit for my modelling skills to get better. I am excited to do a larger scale other than 1:72
Michael modeller 48

iggie wrote:1969 according to Scalemates. Interestingly Revell have just released their new tool Mustang in 1/32, I'll do a review when it arrives chez iggie
Thanks Iggie for checking the year at Scalemates! I be curious the changes over 48 years. I was two years when this kit came out...I doubt i was

modelling at the time but might have build it 10 years later... do not remember...haha
Michael modeller 48

I pick up a few supplies at modelland

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Sorry, Michael. I didn't notice the scale. I thought this was their old 72nd scale kit, which is sketchy as hell.

The 32nd kit isn't bad. I don't remember how it compares to the real thing, but I recall a really fun build, when I did one about 20 years ago. Granted, I was about 19 and didn't care so much about accuracy back then.
Michael modeller 48

Ok, I don't care about accuracy just building an ok looking model. I really would not know the difference if it was not accurate any how....

I just hoping it is ok to build and things do not need to be corrected like filler and flashing etc...
Michael modeller 48

Next month i was get this Texan to add to Where Eagle Dare themed build

https://www.amazon.com/Heller-North-Ame ... B009N1KHSW

Just need to find decals close to one's in the above pictures. I guess I would buy german fighter decals? Any ideas?

Maybe these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xtradecal-1- ... 1784667146

I got to start building more ...haha
Michael modeller 48

I was search on ebay for a texan and bought an airbrush instead....
Michael modeller 48

This month finds at Model land:

A Stuka and paints and some detail brushes.

Michael modeller 48

fredk wrote:Check out your ebay. You can buy cheap pop-up photo cubes for small bucks
I have; 30cm, 45cm and 90cm. The first two are used most.
The 30cm cost me under £10 [C$16.50] off ebay [indirectly from China]

With a cube you can use continious LED lights. I have an angle-poise lamp with a 24w daylight LED positioned over each
LED bulbs are now the thing for lighting subjects. I also have another lamp with less W filling in from the camera position
I put the camera on a tripod switched to aperture auto exposure.

In the meantime; get a big-ish cardboard box. Turn it so the flaps opening faces you.
Cut out the now top and two opposite sides, leaving a 3 to 5 cm frame. Over these holes stick grease proof cooking paper.

Get a big bit of plain card, stuff inside the box so one end is up to the top at the back, curve it to the opening and attach it there; thats your 'infinity' background.

Now get a couple or three lamps. Fit them with the same wattage of bulb, preferably energy saving or LED bulbs and of at least 100w [ordinary].
Place one lamp to shine from the top, and one each from each side.
Attach your camera to a support; a tripod is best, but it don't need to be a big 'un, you can get mini table top tripods

Set your camera onto aperture auto [AV]; select an aperture value of 8 which equals f/8, the maximum your camera can go to. Switch it onto macro - a flower symbol usually. Make sure the flash is switched off. Set a 'film' speed of 200, do not go any higher.

Place model into your big box. Aim camera at it. Let it focus and judge the exposure. Switch on the camera's self timer, select a long self time run, 10 seconds is usual. Press the shutter release and let go of the camera. Don't touch anything, don't even breathe whilst the camera takes the picture.

Review picture. Depending on your lights you may need to adjust the color balance, maybe not.

This was taken in the 30cm cube on an old Fuji S5000 using the above settings

Same camera, same setting, but in 45cm box because its 1/48 and too big for the 30cm box

For really close-up work I have a set of screw on close up lenses which brings the focusing down closer for my camera as being old it doesn't go very close.
For this I used a couple of the lenses and just used one of the anglepoise lamps to photograph it on my desk

Once you get a basic set up try to find somewhere it can be left set up. As you use it you can tweak the arrangement to get better photos.

Return to “Workbench Window”