Skypirate eyeing Scale Modelworld 2018

Please place details here of any events you may think are of interest.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Skypirate eyeing Scale Modelworld 2018

Post by skypirate »

Woohoo!

I'm booked in! The International Hotel is full. The closest I can get is the Radisson Park Inn, and I am in there for 3 nights from Friday 9 Nov. Looks like walking distance to the convention centre. I presume that also means the pubs are nearby.
Ok, now I have to start stocking up on warm gear, umbrellas, galoshes, hip flasks, etc..
Bringing a model is a bit daunting, so I will try to choose a hardy example for the cold war or cbk SIGs. I would consider leaving the model in a good home (museum, perhaps?) rather than carting it all the way home.
I am also a member of a more recent Facebook group, and they might have a table there as well.

Anyway, looking forward to SMW, and looking forward to meeting you guys.
I will also post my itinerary in case that allows me to catch up with other forumers in my travels.

Cheers, and thanks for the timely advice,

David
fredk

Post by fredk »

A; NO ONE wears galoshes any more. Warm clothing- yes. Brolly - not unless you want to impersonate Patrick Macnee. Average temperature around there was 15 degrees this year. I was wearing a T-shirt unloading my car at the centre [and no, I was not cold]

B; Face book group; only if they are are an IPMS group. Only IPMS get to exhibit

C; Radisson, about a 10 minute walk from the Exhibition centre. All round that area are pubs and restaurants- which are licensed to sell alcoholic drinks with meals
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

No galoshes!? That's half the adventure!

cheers,

David
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Well done mate, the Park Inn is a very acceptable hotel and 5-10 minutes walk from shops/pubs and 10-15 from the centre. I've stayed there and left the car there all weekend after unloading on arrival at the centre on the Friday afternoon.
We will be happy to re-home any kits you don't want to take back, especially if they are for CBK as we often display at one or two other shows after Telford so could use the kits for that before passing them on. We could maybe then take them to SMW 2019 as the show has a charity table in the Kit Swap area where you can donate unwanted models and books etc. and the proceeds will go to a good cause.

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Al.
Not sure what I will do about bringing models yet. But this is all good info.

Cheers,

David
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

On the subject of parking, it's worth noting that the places attached to the exhibition hall fill up very quickly -- many of them are taken by traders, stand staff, etc. -- so plan to get there well before doors open if you want to park there. However, if you're out of luck on the day, there's a commercial car park attached to a shopping mall that's just up the road, and it usually has space, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd be more than happy to join in any group activities, though I usually only come for one day -- preferably the Sunday because the traffic is not as bad and the competition judging is over and I can look at the entries. Also, SMW is a very good place to observe the two minutes silence for Remembrance Sunday; people who spend their time researching and re-creating tools and scenes of battle understand and respect the need to honour those who fought and dies in days past.

See you there!
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I have booked my flights!

Arrive Tuesday 6 Nov evening. Pick up hire car at Heathrow. Visit in Berkshire/Wiltshire.
Telford from 9 Nov - booked at Park Inn
Remaining rough plan:
Cosford on 12 Nov.
Newark on 13 Nov.
Duxford on 14 Nov.
Descend on friends in Kent 14 Nov.
Airfix Margate on 16 Nov.
Return hire car and depart from Heathrow on Sat 17 Nov pm.

See you guys in November!

Cheers,

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice itinerary, David! Will Carmel be joining you?
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Hi Paul,

no, not this time.

Cheers,

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I don't blame her - England in November..........! ;-)
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I have joined IPMS UK today, in case I can get involved in activities at Telford.

Cheers,

David
phoenix54
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by phoenix54 »

Update on SMW 2018.
Hi all, it's my understanding there will be two queues inside, one members, to the right, other non members, parallel, to the left.
Two? more till points for cash customers this year, so it should be a little easier.
IPMS are aware, and don't want a repeat of last year. A number of suggestions were made at the AGM, we await implementation.

One thing that's worth reinforcing,

there will be NO credit / debit card facilities to pay for admission, it's CASH only.

There is a cash point within the entry concourse, BUT in previous years, you got charged for the privilage.
Use one of the bank or supermarket cash points up in the shopping centre.....their free!

N.B. PLEASE................

cash customers, have the (correct, if possible) money clutched in your hot, sticky, little hand, it'll speed things up and you get in a little quicker,
and reduce the queue, also remember, change IS finite! Ticket prices are displayed on the IPMS(UK) web site, PLEASE have a look.

Members, your card(s) will NEED to be seen and marked, please, BEFORE you get to the head of the queue,
REMOVE it from your wallet, purse, card holder, yadda, yadda, unless you want a very wet Green, Blue, Red or
Sky Blue Pink and Rhubarb striped felt-tip 'splodge' for evermore on your inside jacket pocket!
It'll save YOU time and just might mean someone else that's outside, not getting quite as wet.

I speak from experience, guess who got to do cash desk duty last year, and member admissions for the two years prior.................

Fair warning to all, DON'T push it! You just MIGHT get someone who's got out of bed the wrong side,
OR, get a formal introduction to Shropshire's finest, the 'Boys in Blue' You KNOW it makes sense!
We're ALL very similar, Kid's in a sweet shop! Just remember, some of us were DAFT enough to volunteer............

Paul
Paul Brown, Secretary,
IPMS North Riding
phoenix54
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by phoenix54 »

ShaunW wrote:Hopefully you will be able to make the trip, David and it would be great to meet you. SMW is an excellent show with plenty to see and usually the UAMF hosted SIGs are placed together although this year the Coastal Command SIG was separated. I would, however, echo Paul's advice regarding booking your accommodation - Telford is a town not a large city and available rooms are quickly filled.
Hi all,
just to bring things up to date re the RAF Coastal Command and ASR SIG yup, we got a longer name!
The C.C. & ASR SIG will again be at SMW next month, this year we'll be in with the
"100 years of the RAF" celebrations, and again we'll be alongside the Bomber Command SIG.
This will be year two for us at Telford, but this year we have twice as much space as last year,
so, if your at a loose end, have a wander over to Hall 3 and come and have a look see, better still,
if you've got something that fits with the theme, we'll be very pleased to give it a home for the weekend!

Paul
Deputy SIG lead
Paul Brown, Secretary,
IPMS North Riding
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

All packed , and ready to go!
Tomorrow to Sydney; next day to UK via Dubai.
Woohoo!

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

skypirate wrote:All packed , and ready to go!
Tomorrow to Sydney; next day to UK via Dubai.
Woohoo!

David
As you are already aware I won't be at SMW this year and will therefore miss meeting you, David, but I hope you enjoy the show and have a really great time over here!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Model Shows and Events”