TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: TeeELLs kitchen crafting kit creations

Post by TeeELL »

Progress continues although at my usual slow rate. I could/should have been able to finish this model this week but my ability to get distracted knows no bounds. The fit between wings and fuselage is 'challenging' and will require some thought., followed by some filler.

The canopy is being painted frame edge by frame edge as my normal system of masking and cutting along the edges of the frames didn't work - I think because the frame edges are not too well defined. Instead, I am slicing strips and masking either side of the frames and then using a hairy stick to apply a first coat of cockpit green and, when dry, a coat of black. Bit tedious to be honest.

Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Michael modeller 48 wrote:I want to find a Texan as the movie Where Eagle Dare used them as stand in German fighters. I want to paint and decals as in the movie.

I could not find any but a small die-cast at Model land.

I just visited eBay Canada and there are a variety of kits available including the 1/72 Heller kit.
Tony

Current build:
Michael modeller 48

Post by Michael modeller 48 »

TeeELL wrote:
Michael modeller 48 wrote:I want to find a Texan as the movie Where Eagle Dare used them as stand in German fighters. I want to paint and decals as in the movie.

I could not find any but a small die-cast at Model land.

I just visited eBay Canada and there are a variety of kits available including the 1/72 Heller kit.
Thanks TeeELLs, i will check to add to my WED kit stash.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Alclad primer/filler has been applied and will get rubbed down as soon as I have finished this post, then the base colour will be applied. That is it for now!

I've yet to determine the appropriateness of the scribed panel lines on the wings although they look OK. They are, in many ways, prototype efforts ready for the Javelin build number 2.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Late last night I applied the 'undercoat', a mix of 'insignia yellow' (154) and 'middle stone' (225). I will try and action the next stage today.

Tony

Current build:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That is a neat looking bit of scribing on the wings there, Tony. From what I can tell from the photos you appear to have achieved nice consistent looking panel lines.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Thank Shaun. I used 3 strokes of my scribing tool and then, after rubbing down with micromesh a further one or 2 strokes with no pressure to remove the bits.

This afternoon I started shading the panels. Initially I used Humbrol 'Lemon' but realised that, despite using Humbrol thinners, the pigment was separating out. I was obliged to go for insignia yellow added to white. I am away for the weekend doing the 'teaching aerodynamics' bit so the paint will have plenty of time to dry thoroughly - that said the very thin mix I use dries extraordinarily fast for enamels.

Next week, after a rub over with 8000 micromesh, the colours will be blended together with the 'top coat' of insignia yellow. I am hoping the end result will look suitably 'shabby' in line with an aircraft of an air force with no ability to acquire spares through 'normal sources' and who's priority was pilot training rather than aircraft cleaning and painting!

Tony

Current build:
iggie

Post by iggie »

That is looking really good Tony; the scribing has really paid dividends and with a top coat I suspect the tonal variations will look totally authentic.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Well iggie,
The attempt at using this technique on the wings of the DH2 was very pleasing (particularly the lower surfaces). This is my first go at using this technique on a larger area of panelling so I, too, will be intrigued by the outcome.
Tony

Current build:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent further painting, Tony. I think this approach will end up with a nicely weathered yellow scheme. I'm always shying away from weathering aircraft unlike AFV's which I weather as a matter of course.

IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Well now, it rather looks as though the darker base shading is too dark. I am struggling to achieve a 'yellow' blended finish at the moment despite many thin layers of insignia yellow. Latest coat is drying but I will post a photo before the next is applied.
Tony

Current build:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I look forward to seeing your efforts, Tony. I've only tried this type of preshading a couple of times and on both occasions I ended up applying too much of the top coat with the result that none of the darker undercoat showed through. I might as well have just painted the top coat! I'm toying with the idea of trying the preshading technique with my Sea Harrier build as that already has a dark grey undercoat.

IPMS#12300
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

As promised, I took a photo prior to applying the final coat of insignia yellow, as the colour is finely misted on the differences are minimal. Given a second opportunity, with such a fussy colour I would not go for such a significant contrast. Any way it is as done as I intend taking it.

I have been creating the decals for this aircraft and need to see if I can print a colour that is close to the yellow for the decals printed on white decal paper. A couple of coats of gloss varnish first, so that the decals sit down and adhere well with no silvering.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Whilst building the Texan I have also been drawing the aircraft markings in order to print some decals. The only photo of a Cuban FAR Texan are those of the Museum example from varying periods. I have crafted my decal sheet from both the markings from the Museum aircraft and from typical markings from the era in which the T6 was operated.

This is what I have produced:

The yellow has been created by a simple system of guessing 3 colour samples, printing them and comparing with the paint finish on the model - I actually got quite close with 2. I then noted the RGB values from those near matches and went for a RGB value about midway between them. All this, in order to get the white bar and star! The 2 sets of rudder markings are slightly different and I will use the one that best wraps around the rudder. I will also give the decals a light coat of satin varnish prior to cutting out to prevent the printed edges flaking; I have found that laser printed decals do have a tendency the come away at the cut edges even when a new blade is used.

The aircraft has been given several misted coats of Humbrol gloss varnish and the areas where the decals sit has then been micromeshed with 12,000 to create a high shine smooth surface.
Tony

Current build:
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with the markings, Tony, I'm impressed with those! Personally I think the weathered paintwork looks good and I'm one who doesn't like to see shading on a model that is too much of a strong contrast.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Workbench Window”