A Builder's Bench - pmmaker's Workbench Window

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Re: A Builder's Bench - pmmaker's Workbench Window

Post by pmmaker »

The end of the journey is here. The build is complete and it is time for the final post. The final product did not turn out half bad IMHO:

As much as I like this one, I'm a bit disappointed with all those empty underwing hard points. Luckily I have a set of Hasegawa Vietnam era bombs and air-to-ground ordinance. I used my Hasegawa weapons kit and added ordinance to the wing hard points. Now this plane is loaded for bear and ready for a close support mission with rockets, Mk. 82 bombs and napalm.

The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Great looking Spad. And is that a Hobbymaster P51D I spy under it?

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Gregers wrote:Great looking Spad. And is that a Hobbymaster P51D I spy under it?

All the best.

Greg
Thank you Greg - glad the build came out okay and you like it. Yeah, the pictures were taken in my "workshop" and I placed the kit on some of my die-cast model boxes to bring it up to eye level. Yes, I still collect die-cast models, just not in the same proportions as I buy and build kits.

pmmaker
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by skypirate »

Well done! That turned out great!
The canopy looks exceptionally clear!

Cheers,

David
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

This is a kit that was generously given to me by a fellow kit builder. It's a Tamiya 72nd scale model of the Douglas F4D-1 SKYRAY.
The kit is very nicely molded with two frames of detailed parts in a gray styrene plastic.

The decal sheet offers the markings for three different aircraft:

VF(AW)-3

VMF(AW)-114

VMF(AW)-115

For this build I am choosing to do a SKYRAY in the markings of VF(AW)-3, the only U.S. Navy all-weather fighter squadron (VF(AW)) to be assigned to the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) in the late 1950s.

pmmaker
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by celt »

Well tidy indeed. :mrgreen:
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

My style of building could be called a "modular" approach. I first do all the preliminary painting of small parts and large surface areas. Then I build the small sub-assemblies and when done, I attach them to each other. Today was a spray painting day. All the white areas were spray painted and when dry, I masked off the white control surfaces on the top wing/fuselage and then painted the gray.

Next I will work on the cockpit and I assemble & paint the front fuselage.

pmmake
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

I'm happy to see you are still building, Allan. :grin: I don't think you ever posted pics of your work-area on the old forum. At least you have a nice dedicated space for model building. I have to use my office desk and do builds between bills and paperwork. :roll:

I also don't remember a few of the desert models you posted. Nice work!
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Thanks Bret. Yeah, I still am building, just not at the same intense pace I had been last year on our old forum. I'm out of room to display what I build and I've got other things that take up my time. I'll probably settle for 4 -6 kit builds a year pace. That's a pretty comfortable pace for me. This forum's group builds will help me as long as I don't commit myself to too many of them.

My model kit work area is in my enclosed porch. My wife and I just finished converting my sons' old bedroom into an art studio so now I have a dedicated place to build models and another to do my creative artwork.

I've got a few other models that I never shared before. I may post them here if the mood strikes.

pmmaker
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Have you created a "personal gallery" here? I think that would be a great place to show your builds that we got to enjoy at the old place (insert nostalgic sigh here). Just a thought. :-D
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Finished some more "parts" painting today.

Painted the cockpit parts and fuselage halves a "semi-gloss" spray black and started building the seat.

Will hopefully finish the cockpit and do all the detail painting and instrument decals.

I masked and painted the area around the engine nozzle on both fuselage halves using Tamiya Gunmetal.

Outside of the cockpit is done - will only have to do a light touch-up on the seams once the halves are joined.

pmmaker
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

PropWash wrote:Have you created a "personal gallery" here? I think that would be a great place to show your builds that we got to enjoy at the old place (insert nostalgic sigh here). Just a thought. :-D
Thanks for the comment. No, I haven't done that here Bret - I don't think I'm quite ready to go there.

pmmaker
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Really nice job on the skyraider. And interesting approach with the prepaint
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Skyraider turned out well, PMM. I've only once painted a kit on the sprues like you have with your Skyray and that was a military 4x4 - the idea worked well enough on the jeep but the seams were small or non-existent. Quite often with aircraft there are more and/or larger seams to worry about, hopefully with the Skyray being a Tamiya product it won't give you too much to worry about in the post assembly clean up phase as you have a nice finish to those parts that are painted.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

I've only started spray painting this past year. I've used spray cans and my very primitive single action Badger airbrush to get a more uniform spray pattern rather than hand painting everything like I did in the past.

I find the masking that is needed to paint a completed model gives me a lot of trouble and is a tedious process. Doing my painting in small increments also means that if I make a mistake, only a small part of the model is negatively affected versus an entire model. My method does have its share of problems, but I'm comfortable with my process and my results tend to be pretty good.

pmmaker

Return to “Workbench Window”