Brengun 1/72 North American A-36 Apache USAF BRP72025

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
mjatx
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Brengun 1/72 North American A-36 Apache USAF BRP72025

Post by mjatx »

This little kit showed up in the mail yesterday and thought I'd share it.

This is one of Brengun's latest offerings, the A-36 Apache/Mustang fighter/dive bomber. This plane has only been offered a few times over the years, so it's nice to see someone providing a new tool of it.

The box cover has some nice art and one typo (should say "USAAF").

The back of the box has the decal and color scheme options for the kit. Hope you like olive drab!

Three sprues of relatively flash-free brown plastic.

Some nice details in the wheel wells, with very nice panel lines and riveting. There are no cockpit details on the sidewall of the fuselage. Instead, the side walls are provided separately and the cockpit is built essentially as a cubical.

In house decals from Brengun. I've used them before, and they were nice. These seem simple and are all in proper register. No stencil information is provided.

The kit also includes a small fret of photoetch dive brakes for the top and bottom of each wing, a resin air intake, and a one-piece canopy.

Overall, the kit is nicely molded, with not a lot of parts, and has good details.

A 3-part canopy would have been nice since the cockpit is pretty well detailed.

I'm not that big of a Mustang expert, but the shape looks correct; however, I've found when it comes to Mustangs, Spitfires, and 109s, there always some debate about the location of a bulge, or lack of a bump. I know the Apache was "basically" a Mustang with some changes in wing design and guns mounted under the nose. It was closer in shape to the P-51A, and to me, this kit looks like it fits that description, but I'll leave that to the experts.

This kit sells for about $20 - $25 (US).
iggie

Re: Brengun 1/72 North American A-36 Apache USAF BRP72025

Post by iggie »

Nice review! It looks to be a nice kit and as you say, a subject not often available.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

Thank you for this review!

...this is going to put Condor´s 72 scale A-36 Apache to rest! That´s a czech short run kit from the 90ies, issued by different brands, that gives you some work to do, to finish it!
It first appeared as a P-51A from MPM, then under Special Hobby flag, then Condor, another Czech company put it out with some extra engravings for the dive brakes, as an Apache.
One Special Hobby Mustang hangs out on my s.o.d., and it will hang out there for some time to come!
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very cool!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
mjatx

Post by mjatx »

iggie wrote:Nice review! It looks to be a nice kit and as you say, a subject not often available.
Manufacturers sure love to roll out new P-51Ds, but they seem to overlook the earlier versions like this one and P-51As and Mustang I's.
Crashpilot wrote:Thank you for this review!

...this is going to put Condor´s 72 scale A-36 Apache to rest! That´s a czech short run kit from the 90ies, issued by different brands, that gives you some work to do, to finish it!
It first appeared as a P-51A from MPM, then under Special Hobby flag, then Condor, another Czech company put it out with some extra engravings for the dive brakes, as an Apache.
One Special Hobby Mustang hangs out on my s.o.d., and it will hang out there for some time to come!
Thanks. This one should be on my workbench soon. Just need to get a couple of my current projects out of the way first. Luckily, I've got one, or two that are close to done.

Return to “In-Box reviews”