Softscience Labs 2.5

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Softscience Labs 2.5

Post by Stuart »

Both are looking superb - I love that bipe!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

The Nieuport looks great; I'll get you rigging before painting, you see if I don't! :ha: :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A fine pair, Ralph. Your rigging looks great. Biplanes do make for attractive subjects and most of us are put off by the rigging but in actual fact it's mostly about patience and a steady hand - I enjoyed building and rigging my Frog Swordfish last year and it won't be the last biplane that I'll be building. But rigging before painting? that way madness lies :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

iggie wrote:The Nieuport looks great; I'll get you rigging before painting, you see if I don't! :ha: :-D

Yeah - I can think of a few instances where I might take said approach :)
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

ShaunW wrote:A fine pair, Ralph. Your rigging looks great. Biplanes do make for attractive subjects and most of us are put off by the rigging but in actual fact it's mostly about patience and a steady hand - I enjoyed building and rigging my Frog Swordfish last year and it won't be the last biplane that I'll be building. But rigging before painting? that way madness lies :ha:

I once knew a modeler who was so mad, he would apply decals before painting!!! :ha:

But you're right about rigging being a matter of patience. But for me it was also a matter of being able to see what I'm doing. A few months ago I got an optivizor, and it has taken my modeling to the next level. Rigging is a lot easier when you can actually see the little hole where you're trying to put your super glue and thread, and are not just making a giant mess all around it!
iggie

Post by iggie »

I've found that dipping the end of the rigging line (if using clear or white line or elastic) in a pot of dark acrylic paint and then wiping off the excess allows you to see to thread it much easier......

And then you paint the model! :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very nice!
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Softscience wrote:
I once knew a modeler who was so mad, he would apply decals before painting!!! :ha:
Now that is proper bonkers!! :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

That is a lovely Nieuport and it has been extremely well painted. That silver finish is sooo difficult to get right.

Rigging is not inherently difficult on many biplanes: much of the problem is taking the plunge and having a go. I admit that pushers can be more of a problem, especially if thread is used, which is why I use rolled wire: no holes to worry about, no ends to miss the holes (repeatedly), and no holes to fill and touch in when the rigging is finished.
I rigged my 0/400 with invisible thread - what a trial!
The Great Auk

Post by The Great Auk »

That is some museum-quality looking work on that little Bebe!

Magnificent and will be a thrill at final roll-out!

The Great Auk
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Lone Modeller wrote:That is a lovely Nieuport and it has been extremely well painted. That silver finish is sooo difficult to get right.

Rigging is not inherently difficult on many biplanes: much of the problem is taking the plunge and having a go. I admit that pushers can be more of a problem, especially if thread is used, which is why I use rolled wire: no holes to worry about, no ends to miss the holes (repeatedly), and no holes to fill and touch in when the rigging is finished.
I rigged my 0/400 with invisible thread - what a trial!

rolled wire?
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

The Great Auk wrote:That is some museum-quality looking work on that little Bebe!

Magnificent and will be a thrill at final roll-out!

The Great Auk

Wow. Thank you for that. That is high praise. :beer:
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I think I've discovered something that I dislike even more than painting metallic finishes; painting metallic finishes on biplanes!

with all the post-painting handling that this little beastie has required I'm surprised I haven't lost more paint. But a lot of corners are showing black primer undercoat, and will need to be cleaned up. The area over the Native American insignia will need to be reshot with flat coat, as its gotten a sheen from handing (its the only safe spot to grab the model). BLERG!!!

That said, I'm in the home stretch now. I need to paint the engine and prop, which hopefully won't present too many difficulties.

There are screw ups and sloppy spots all over this model. I admit I'm rushing it, but at this point I just want to prove to myself that I can build a blasted biplane! :evil: :frown: :frown: This time its an experiment. The next one I'll take my time with, and make it pretty. :sad: :-|

Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I'm wrapping things up on the Nieuport. I tried to simulate the transparent wing cellules with krystal klear...it's a cool effect but not sure it's what I want. You can also see the beginnings of a Le Rhone motor down there.

Almost there. Stay on target, stay on target!

Aaaaaaaand distracted! :-D

A dirty Messer

And my attempt at dirty CDL on the Airfix Eindecker.

iggie

Post by iggie »

The 109 is looking excellent and the Fokker is looking suitably grubby; great work
Best wishes

Jim

Return to “Workbench Window”