Another frog

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Another frog

Post by Stuart »

celt wrote:Hi Sir T,skypirate and crashpilot,I tried your method on a scrap canopy and could not get it right,despite many attempts,anyway I have decided to do away with canopies altogether and do models with little or no clear parts.My first effort is already posted,I must say I enjoyed doing a model without the pressure of clear parts,not the prettiest of aircraft but still an aircraft and not a target oops sorry armour. :ha:
Fair enough Celt - sounds like you have a plan anyway!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
The Great Auk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by The Great Auk »

I've really been enjoying your builds and especially your Sharpie canopy frames.

I know the frames aren't usually black but doggone it if they don't look an absolute treat!

Apologies for not having the time to comment on all your wonderful models and thank you for sharing them to my immense enjoyment.

The Great Auk
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Nice Hellcat,
every time when I see Frog/Novo kit, I remember my childhood
celt

Post by celt »

Hi chaps thanks for your kind words,it is very much appreciated.My models are strictly OOB because unlike others that post on this forum,my skills are limited.I just glue bits of plastic and slap on some paint.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Lovely Hellcat, there's a lot to be said for nice simple kits, you can just bash em together, slap some paint on them, and still get a decent model at the end.

Have you considered using Maskol fluid or similar on the cockpits?
Paint it both sides of the frame line, paunt over the top, then peel it off, I get reasonable results using it.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Have you tried using tape or decals for canopy frames? It is an alternative way of getting sharp edged frames. I've used the technique from time to time although I mostly do paint them.

It would be a shame to give up on aircraft models because of "canopyphobia".
celt

Post by celt »

Muttzley wrote:Lovely Hellcat, there's a lot to be said for nice simple kits, you can just bash em together, slap some paint on them, and still get a decent model at the end.

Have you considered using Maskol fluid or similar on the cockpits?
Paint it both sides of the frame line, paunt over the top, then peel it off, I get reasonable results using it.
Eric Mc wrote:Have you tried using tape or decals for canopy frames? It is an alternative way of getting sharp edged frames. I've used the technique from time to time although I mostly do paint them.

It would be a shame to give up on aircraft models because of "canopyphobia".
Hi chaps thanks for the advice but my home life does not leave much time for modelling and if I leave out the canopy I have a better than average chance of actually finishing a model.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It's your hobby and how you conduct it is entirely up to you.

I just thought painting and cutting a piece of tape was not much more effort than playing with a Sharpie - and least you would have the correct colour on the frame.
celt

Post by celt »

Eric Mc wrote:It's your hobby and how you conduct it is entirely up to you.

I just thought painting and cutting a piece of tape was not much more effort than playing with a Sharpie - and least you would have the correct colour on the frame.
Hi Eric Mc,I have done the method that you suggested in the past and worked well its just I am by nature a lazy modeller. :-D
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

You can buy paint pens these days. Maybe that might work.
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Fair enough, the other way you could go about it is paint the canopy the appropriate colour then paint the gkazing black. That's the approach I used on some Guillows balsa models I built for the kids.
celt

Post by celt »

Eric Mc wrote:You can buy paint pens these days. Maybe that might work.
Hi Eric Mc,I have done a couple of models with the paint pen and it works well,its just the colours are limited[at least in the stores around here].
Muttzley wrote:Fair enough, the other way you could go about it is paint the canopy the appropriate colour then paint the gkazing black. That's the approach I used on some Guillows balsa models I built for the kids.
Hi Muttzley,I have done that as well and on kits with good defined glazing it works a treat.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”