1/8th Norton Commando 750

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/8th Norton Commando 750

Post by syd-baines »

this is my next build it is heller`s 1/8th scale Norton Commando 750, it is one of the kits i got for my birthday, i have made a start and put the tank and frame together and the fit is not very good there is a lot of ejector marks, the seam lines are very proud of the surface i have used plenty of plastic card and filler so far, what i do like about this kit is the cylinder barrels is made up of seperate fins
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: 1/8th Norton Commando 750

Post by ShaunW »

Yet another classic motorcycle, Syd. Sounds like this Heller offering is presenting some challenges!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
celt

Post by celt »

I did not know Heller did kits like this,I will watch your progress with interest.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i have got some of the components built and they did not cause me any problems the fit of the parts was ok, the fit of the tank parts was not good but some plastic card and filler put that right there is a lot of ejector pin marks on this kit (more than i have seen on other kits) and being a motorcycle most of them will be seen so they will all have to be filled, after saying that there is some nice touches with this kit the tank has a bottom so it looks just like a real tank, the seat is a flexible rubber like moulding so that looks like a proper seat it also has a base to it just like a 1/1 seat, the cylinders is made up of separate cooling fins, the suspension works, the kit provides some wire to make springs if you want a working suspension, i have got some model springs that i have had for a while so i will look through them hopefully i can find some that will do the job, the one thing that is bothering me is the chain it is on the same fret as the rubber components, so that will need careful looking at
the cylinder cooling fins

the tank showing ejector pin marks and the gaps i had to fill at the front

the cooling fins for the wheel hubs again these was separate fins

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ejector pin marks aside, this is not a bad looking effort from Heller, Syd.

IPMS#12300
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Its looking good so far syd
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys the fit of parts is not bad, the petrol tank was the first piece i did as i wanted to prime the tank and side panels and let them dry the fit of parts for the tank was not good all the other parts are a lot better, this is turning out to be a nice kit, still a lot of ejector pin marks but a bit of filer and sanding will put that right, i have built the cylinders they went together with no problems

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow, those cylinder heads are quite something, Syd!

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun got some more done got the carbs. on the engine, the frame done, just the airbox to go in then the engine can go in the gear box assembly is just about done and ready to be mated up to the engine ready to go in the frame,
i am away for the xmas holiday so will not be posting any more until the new year, so i will wish you all a merry xmas and a happy new year
the frame just the air box to fit
the gear box and swing arm ready to mate up to engine
the engine with the carbs there is 52 pieces just in this part
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

More great work, Syd and all the best to you for Christmas and the New Year.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun hope you had a good Christmas and all the best for the new year, i have been doing some more to the Norton i have got the gearbox mounted to the engine and got the engine in the frame, i am working on the rear shocks, wheel and chain at moment, the chain is a rubberised item with a pair of plastic links so you join the chain up, once you have put the plastic links on you have to get a screw driver blade and warm it up so you melt the rubber to fix the plastic link and join the chain up, i dont know yet how this will go, i have to be careful not to melt the whole lot
the engine and gearbox with the swing arm
the engine and gearbox in the frame, you have to be careful here as you have to twist the engine in the frame to get it to fit

kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Looking good so far mate, yes I do like their separate fins idea.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks kp. the separate fins is a good idea as the barels look a lot cleaner and real looking than if they were moulded as one, like the 1:12 scale which i would imagine would be to small a scale to do that, i have got a bit more done, i have put the rear wheel in the swing arm and put the chain on as well as the exhaust`s another thing i like about this kit is the bolts and nuts is moulded as separate items on the grey sprue`s i think it would have been better chromed, the rear shocks you have to make your own springs by winding some wire round something the same diameter as the shocks, but i have some model springs so i found a couple among them i could use, the rear suspension works, it is on to the front forks next.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent work throughout Syd; kind of reminds me of stripping down my 400/4 Super Sports in the kitchen many years ago :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

iggie wrote:Excellent work throughout Syd; kind of reminds me of stripping down my 400/4 Super Sports in the kitchen many years ago :-D
That is all very well, until your mum catches you
I wish, that I knew what was doing!

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”