What's in store for 2018 (modeling)?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: What's in store for 2018 (modeling)?

Post by 59North »

MarkyM607 wrote:entry to my pituitary gland using the nose route :
Can you take photos? I need some reference shots to enter the figures GB with an action figure.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Well with the house extension just about done I can move all the stuff that has been stored in my workroom during the build as well has move office stuff that has been sharing the space since we moved to this house (OMG 10 years ago). I can then reconfigure the workroom to be better suited to purpose. The desk currently sits in front the window which means I have a nice view, but everything I'm working on is in shadow and they is no room to hang tools etc in from off me. I can then also dedicate one corner to airbushing and finally install my spraybooth. As to actual modelling, doing some will be nice and working through the selves of shame, if only to reclaim the space.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Yes, I was about to remind you that this is not the DIY forum :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

Well, I dare say there'll be a few 1/24 cars...

Spreading the net a bit wider, though, things I want to do in 2018 include:

A couple of the 1/43 racing cars I picked up in the Kit Swap at Telford for a song: never done a car quite that small before, but the kits are exquisite examples of the white metal and resin art

The Roden 1/144 BOAC VC-10 I picked up cheap in November: my favorite civil aircraft in my all time favorite colour scheme.

The Wingnut Wings Bentley Camel my parents bought me for Christmas.

The Heller Ferguson tractor in well-weathered style to replicate the one that lived up the farm lane from my childhood home, belonging to a craggy chap called Selwyn, who'd been a tank driver in the desert and taught my father the art of starting your Land River on a cold morning by setting some paraffin soaked rags alight and putting them in the air intake...

A new Airfix Blenheim IV in Free French markings, because the original pale blue plastic version with Roy Cross artwork was one of my all time favorite Airfix kits as a lad

best,
M.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

59North wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:entry to my pituitary gland using the nose route :
Can you take photos? I need some reference shots to enter the figures GB with an action figure.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
When I go for the op I'll take my camera and do some selfies!!!. Oh wait, should be out like a light by then. Perhaps some sort of tripod and timer?.... :ha: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

While we wait for the (ahem) glamour shots of Marky's nose :shock: , there is an announcement to come from Airfix at 10.00am Tuesday 9th January, and I quote their email from today:

"The new 2018 Airfix model range will be live on the Airfix website from 10am on Tuesday 9th January and will include a spectacular new tooling announcement that will definitely be of interest to many Workbench readers." 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

iggie wrote: "The new 2018 Airfix model range will be live on the Airfix website from 10am on Tuesday 9th January and will include a spectacular new tooling announcement that will definitely be of interest to many Workbench readers." 8-)

please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Softscience wrote:
iggie wrote: "The new 2018 Airfix model range will be live on the Airfix website from 10am on Tuesday 9th January and will include a spectacular new tooling announcement that will definitely be of interest to many Workbench readers." 8-)

please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I, please be a Battle I.
I'm sorry, what was it you were hoping for? :ha: :-D :-D

I have to say, my money is on a new Vulcan......Image
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
59North

Post by 59North »

Softscience wrote:please be a Battle I.
I'll put my money on the Mitchell!
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

I can't help thinking it'll be a Sopwith Camel, after all it IS 100 years since the end of WW1 AND the birth of the RAF.

I'd be REALLY surprised if they passed up that chance for a few tie-in sales.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
vacant

Post by vacant »

I read and was inspired, even motivated, by all the previous comments about having plans for 2018. I thought about it for a minute. Then decided not to bother. So this year I will potter along much as before, bearing in mind life's uncertainties and the words of Harold McMillan, i.e. 'Events dear boy, events'. At the moment, I am cutting and sanding something rather too big for what is sensible for my diminishing storage space. On this one, in the words of Lawrence Oates, 'I may be some time', though in my case, I will be staying inside rather than stepping outside to do it.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

It'll probably be another bloody Spitfire :frown:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Dazzled wrote:It'll probably be another bloody Spitfire :frown:
Or maybe the bosses at Airfix have had a lengthy meeting, have taken into account the 100 year anniversaries of the RAF and WW I, realised they need a banker kit and have decided to give us................. a 1/48th FW-190A8 :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

iggie wrote:
I'm sorry, what was it you were hoping for? :ha: :-D :-D

I have to say, my money is on a new Vulcan......Image

I hope whatever it is they do, that they do it right. I have to sadly admit to being somewhat disappointed with the last few Airfix kits that I got. Some of their stuff is just sublime, but they've had more misses than hits last year or two. Too many of their models end up looking like they're made from sown-together pillows.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Dazzled wrote:It'll probably be another bloody Spitfire :frown:
I thought you liked Spitfire's. To fill up the Cold War table wasn't it?.. :ha: :ha: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Small Talk”