Witch King and Fell Beast by gnomemeansgnome

This is a "get your feet wet" GB for figures and busts for those who have been reluctant to try or want to expand their skills. Any era, any scale, any subject -- even supporting vehicles/equipment are allowed, say in a diorama/vignette.
This GB runs from 1st January to 11th February and your host is rob_van_riel.
gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Witch King and Fell Beast by gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

I got this curious thing a few Christmases ago and maybe it's time to see if I got the jam for it. If it proves too much I may default to some 35th scale mujahadeen I have buried somewhere, or really get crazy and do some kitbashing/scratchbuilding.......

Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
59North

Re: Witch King and Fell Beast by gnomemeansgnome

Post by 59North »

What's in the box, a model or a board game?
gnomemeansgnome

It's a gaming figure for one the LOTR games, I understand. Some kind of die cast metal for the body and dio base, and a hard waxy plastic for the wings. Should be highly entertaining!
Ego no habeo consilium.

Ratch

Post by Ratch »

I'm intrigued :-|
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
TimJ

Post by TimJ »

Looking forward to seeing this one emerge from it's lair.
2020 A:35 B:18. 2021 A: 51 B:25 C:21 2022 A:63 B:23 C:11 2024 A:4 B:4 C:13
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:Should be highly entertaining!
From what I've read about this kit, it should indeed, but perhaps more so from a spectators point of view. Apparently, fit is something GW have heard of, and decided it was for wussies. Buy plenty of filler :roll: Given the mechanical load several joins will have to bear, you might also want to consider pinning the main joins, to stop the thing from collapsing under its own weight and torque on the wings.
On the brighter side, as far as I can tall from the activities of the various wargamers I've seen (and smelled) working on GW plastic, the plastic should respond to the usual glues and cements. If possible, I'd test just to make sure..
gnomemeansgnome

Cheers Rob, and thanks for the warnings. I have gotten similar messages from friends when I told them I was about to take leave of my senses and try to tackle this thing. One of the things I was warned about was to pin the thing together before laying in with green stuff or whatever. I might just default for now and tackle a scratchbuilt subject, as the materials and adhesive for this sort of thing tend to be a little pricey.
Ego no habeo consilium.

rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:I might just default for now and tackle a scratchbuilt subject, as the materials and adhesive for this sort of thing tend to be a little pricey.
Huh? I can imagine you thinking "maybe later", or migrating to the Krap Kits GB, but what materials did you intend to use? Mostly, I see thick CA and bits of brass rod used for pinning, and last time I checked, those won't break the bank (not even when you buy GW branded stuff :-D )
gnomemeansgnome

I haven't been to a local gamer shop yet, but a friend has advised me that two part expoxy and something called Greenstuff will be needed for adhesive and filler. I will mount a fact finding mission soon. In the meantime I have a large stock of 35th scale figures both built and unbuilt that await my ministrations. Attachments like paperclips for pinning the metal bits together I have in abundance as well.
Ego no habeo consilium.

rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

gnomemeansgnome wrote:I haven't been to a local gamer shop yet, but a friend has advised me that two part expoxy and something called Greenstuff will be needed for adhesive and filler. I will mount a fact finding mission soon. In the meantime I have a large stock of 35th scale figures both built and unbuilt that await my ministrations. Attachments like paperclips for pinning the metal bits together I have in abundance as well.
Greenstuff is a form of epoxy putty, just like Milliput. It stays somewhat flexible when cured, and so is almost impossible to sand, but is also has a smoother texture, which can be an advantage in some cases. Use whichever is available and seems to match the job at hand. In this case, Milliput will work just as well.
Two part epoxy is a possible adhesive, but anything gap filling that will work with metal is fine; I'm partial to PU glue myself. Epoxies tend to be faster though, which can be very usefull. The pinning will give the real strength, the gap filling is just to remove wiggle room that could be abused to overcome that strength.
iggie

Post by iggie »

How big is it? It certainly looks an interesting creature!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gnomemeansgnome

About seven or eight inches tall on its base and about the same in wingspan. I believe it is 20mm scale or so, so it would be I suppose roughly the same scale as most of my non-fantasy stuff. I will attempt to gather the correct building materials soon, budget allowing.
Ego no habeo consilium.

rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Haven't heard from you for a while. Are you still with us, or did that critter turn you into another wraith? In the latter case, does that present any special challenges or advantages while building models :-D ?
gnomemeansgnome

Hey Rob. Yeah, sorry I haven't kept up on this; still hedging about whether I could hopefully tackle it soon or just drop out for now.
Ego no habeo consilium.

Return to “Figures & Busts”