Tinkering with a Tank

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Tinkering with a Tank

Post by 59North »

I've never built a tank before. I've tried, but have never gotten past the bogies before I was threatened with irreversible insanity.
So, I thought I'd try something a little smaller than 1/35.
The Hasegawa 1:72 M3 Stuart is a nice little kit. It comes with 3 figures; a horse, a tank commander, and General 'Jeb' Stuart (remember the comic book).

I started with the turret, adding some small trinketry with plastic card and wire. Just taking my time, with no concern about exact replication. Hollowing out the rear spoked wheels. I don't much like the molded on, goofy looking tools and cable.
I'm hoping this little one will help break me outta the slight anti-modelling trench I've been in lately.
I don't intend to post many progress pics; just hoping to do one tank, at least. Then I'll post a finished photo.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Tinkering with a Tank

Post by ShaunW »

Looking good so far, 59er. It's been a year or so since I've built any military vehicles on here but over the years I've built quite a number. I tend to build older kits and particularly like Tamiya's classic 70's and 80's 1/35th kits and Matchbox's efforts in 1/76th, which can all be made into decent enough replicas with a bit of time, effort and patience. Quite a lot of the newer 1/35th stuff is getting very expensive now and I can't really justify paying some of the prices currently being asked.

Keep at it and hopefully you'll end up with a nice, finished, M3!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

A nice little one for your debut with a tank,

They say your always remember your first .... I recall my first tank was an Airfix Churchill. I chose it over a variety of others at the time, as I thought I was getting better value for money with the higher number of parts in the kit compared to the others available... Thankfully the build of it did turn out well, and it was quite some time after, that I realised how it came to be that it had such a higher part count to many others :oops:
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Impressive work.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”