Last of 2017 - Another Spitfire

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
59North
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Last of 2017 - Another Spitfire

Post by 59North »

Here is the 1:72nd KP Spitfire.
I've tried to model a subject that had gone through the maintenance units extensively, and subsequently acquired an obvious field repaired camo scheme. W3834 was an example attached to 401sqn, RCAF. There is a widely distributed photo of this aircraft in circulation.
The gun barrels are from Master and the markings are Xtradecal.
Just my opinion, but, I believe KP has the best 72nd scale Spitfire Vb available.
iggie

Re: Last of 2017 - Another Spitfire

Post by iggie »

That looks very smart indeed; I have one in the stash somewhere and will be very pleased if it turned out as well as yours
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A very nice build indeed although from an aesthetics point of view I'm not a fan of clipped wing Spitfires - but yes, I do understand the combat reasons for butchering that lovely elliptical wing shape. That doesn't detract form your excellent build here though, 59'er!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Miggers
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Miggers »

A genuine "Clapped,Clipped and Cropped"Vb is W3834 IIRC.

The idea was that they were a batch of worn out,well used(Clapped)Spits that had the clipped tips fitted(Clipped)
to improve the rate of roll(this mod also raised the wing loading giving a larger turning circle and
also the stalling/landing speed by some 3kts/5mph).
Several different versions of the Merlin 45/50 family were used, including the Merlin 45M which had a smaller “cropped” supercharger impeller and boost increased to +18 lb. This engine produced 1,585 hp (1,182 kW) at 2,750 ft (838 m), increasing the L.F VB’s maximum rate of climb to 4270 ft/min (21.6 m/sec) at 3850 ft,hence "Cropped".

By 1941/early 42 the Spit Vb was being outclassed by the Fw190,the above modifications were an attempt to bring
the Spit Vb to a more level playing field with the '190 before the introduction of the Spit IX.

Nice work 59north,she looks great.

As to the KP being the best Vb in 1/72nd?,I've not handled one myself,but for accuracy of dimension and shape,
Airfix's old 1973 offering is still classed as the "perfect gold standard"this side of the pond.
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Beautifully finished Spit, well done!!! :beer:
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
59North

Post by 59North »

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I am rather pleased with the way this one turned out. It doesn't always go that way in modelling.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Personally I think that that is a model which I would like to have in my collection. That would grace any competition table or better still, display cabinet.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

That's a really nice Spit, very nicely finished.

Zee28
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

That model looks just right!
Shape and finish.
KP Spitfire Vb? I have never heard of it. Where did that come from?

Cheers,

David
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

It would be interesting to see one of these, I still use the OT Airfix mkVb as my preferred kit- they are cheap and plentiful now but eventually they will be unavailable at reasonable cost. KP has recently changed their mkIX kit from their own older tooling to a bought in AZ kit so maybe this also is the AZ offering in which case could be quite good, must get one to check.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
59North

Post by 59North »

skypirate wrote: KP Spitfire Vb? I have never heard of it.
Kovozavody Prostejov (KP) I believe are a Czech company, offering the Vb in boxings with various markings. I purchased this one out of Hannants mail order.
The KP Spitfire is very similar to and slightly better than the AZ offering, in my opinion. I have both, and have compared them to each other side by side. I do not believe they come from the same mold.
Thanks for all the kind comments guys!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

59North wrote:Kovozavody Prostejov (KP) I believe are a Czech company, offering the Vb in boxings with various markings. I purchased this one out of Hannants mail order.
The KP Spitfire is very similar to and slightly better than the AZ offering, in my opinion. I have both, and have compared them to each other side by side. I do not believe they come from the same mold.
Very interesting, thanks.
Seems very scarce. Heaps of different KP 1/72 Spitfire box illustrations on the internet. All unfamiliar to me (except for the old Mk IX).

Cheers,

David
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That is a lovely build 59. Excellent paint work.

I would agree with you about the KP, a real gem and a worthy successor to the classic Airfix kit. It was a new tool in 2016 IIRC. The original release was a Mk.1 but they are planning to cover all the early versions. I found a review here http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/ ... ewmd_1.htm

Looks like KP are now owned by the same parent company as AZ.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Looks like a really good job you've done there and it makes a change to see one with the clipped wings.

I have a KP Piper L-4A/B that my other half bought me for Christmas and I have to say that when I frottered the kit I was most impressed and I'm looking forward to building it (I normally build CBK's).

Good work, keep it up :)
Regards,

Miss-Stang

Return to “Aviation Modelling”