A sign of the times?

Got something to say about the hobby of model making?
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

A sign of the times?

Post by iggie »

I travel into London a couple of days each week, using the train from Milton Keynes into Euston. Irrespective of where in London I am going, I always get the same train in the morning and over the last ten years or so I have got to know some of my fellow commuters well, and there are a small group of us that sit together whenever we are all travelling. The train we catch starts from MK, and so we are sure of a seat of our choosing, and a good natter before drifting off to sleep to while away the time.

Last week, one of the regulars asked me what I drank; 'why?' said I. 'I may need a favour' was his reply; 'it's just that my boy has been given some kits for Christmas, and I need someone to make them for him'.

:shock:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
carlos
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: A sign of the times?

Post by carlos »

Rather than just building them... maybe offer to 'come over' a couple of times and help/encourage the kid (and the dad) to get into the hobby themselves.

Worked with my grandaughter - she had to do WW1 project when the 100yrs anniversary came around - She knew I was interested in the World Wars so she asked my advice and she ended up researching Manfred Von Richthofen and building the Airfix Albatros in his colours (with my help)
3 yrs later, she's built about 12 assorted cars and planes just out of her own interest.
Currently on bench: ICM 1/72 Tupolev Tu-2
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Hmmmm. Does kind of defeat the purpose, doesn't it?

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

I offered the 'guiding hand' approach, but there didn't seem to be much interest. I've not meet the son so l have no idea if he has any interest in building the kits himself.
I just found it interesting.......
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Maybe the kid's like my son, not able to put down a playstation/xbox remote long enough to eat with two hands as it appears to cause physical pain. :roll: :roll:
Been trying to teach my boy modelling for a long time but he reckons hand skills are not applicable any more. :shock: :shock:
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

FAAMAN wrote:Maybe the kid's like my son, not able to put down a playstation/xbox remote long enough to eat with two hands as it appears to cause physical pain. :roll: :roll:
Been trying to teach my boy modelling for a long time but he reckons hand skills are not applicable any more. :shock: :shock:
The answer to that is a hammer/axe/chainsaw through the gaming console. It's something I wish I'd done years ago with my son. He used to brilliant at maths and physics; now he collects trolleys at a supermarket.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

FAAMAN wrote:Been trying to teach my boy modelling for a long time but he reckons hand skills are not applicable any more. :shock: :shock:
Reminds me of that scene in the 80'd retro diner in Back to the Future II, Marty shows the two little kids how to play 'crackshot' IIRC. They say 'You have to use your hands!?!, that's like baby games' :shock: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

I teach 4th graders (I know - I'm a glutton for punishment :???: ) and I fully understand the influence that electronic devices have on the young. Getting them to read, write, and draw is very hard to nearly impossible. Still, I'm old-fashioned and whenever I can, I try to infuse some good, old-fashioned hands-on creative work into my lessons. About 3/4 of my kids now like to color and are happy when I give them time to do so. That's a start in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. Now if I could only get them to enjoy reading.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
fredk

Post by fredk »

A. we don't know the age of the boy
B. the boy might be young and might need help from a grup and the father has never built a model

The parent might be wary of introducing an unknown person to their son. Try offering to meet up at a neutral territory, like a McDonalds and tell them to bring two or three small models with them.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
iggie

Post by iggie »

The son is seven, and as such l would suggest is the perfect age for a first kit. one of the kits I know to be The Airfix Spitfire starter kit. The father may or may not have built a kit before, I don't know but he holds a senior position in a financial company and can string a sentence together.
I just found it strange that he wouldn't even try...... :sad:

And for the record, I'm not going into a McDonalds for any reason! :ha:
Best wishes

Jim
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:The son is seven, and as such l would suggest is the perfect age for a first kit. one of the kits I know to be The Airfix Spitfire starter kit. The father may or may not have built a kit before, I don't know but he holds a senior position in a financial company and can string a sentence together.
I just found it strange that he wouldn't even try...... :sad:

And for the record, I'm not going into a McDonalds for any reason! :ha:
Burger King??? :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Wimpy's?

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

dwomby wrote:Wimpy's?

David
Are there any left? :shock:
Best wishes

Jim
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

iggie wrote:
dwomby wrote:Wimpy's?

David
Are there any left? :shock:
Sorry, I thought he was talking about me!
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

iggie wrote:And for the record, I'm not going into a McDonalds for any reason! :ha:
I'm with you there :twisted:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum

Return to “Small Talk”