1/12 Honda vfr 750

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/12 Honda vfr 750

Post by syd-baines »

this is my next build it is the Honda rc vfr 750
this bike is the road version of Honda`s racer from 1987, it has a v4 cylinder and 16 valve engine it also has an aluminum box section frame and a single sided swing arm, even before the bike came off the production line it was consider`d to be a collectors item, today if you could find an original one i think you would need very deep pockets.
i have ordered a detail up kit for this model so i will be putting more detail on aswel as hex. headed rivets and maybe some hose fittings rather than just pudhin the hose on to the little lugs on the kit parts, i will cut them off and drill smale holes for the fittings,
i hope to start this within the next couple of days, the kit has a clear see through fairingso i will have to decide if i am going to paint it or leave it see through so the engine detail can be seen
kpnuts
Active Participant

Re: 1/12 Honda vfr 750

Post by kpnuts »

Looking forward to this, i built it a couple of yrs ago. Will be a treat to see it given the syd touch.
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks kp i have built the frame, then cut some parts off to put some photo etch on, i am building the engine at the moment and getting the body work ready for priming the only part of the body work that needs putting together is the seat fairing so will need putting together then filling and sanding
here is the frame built up as per instructions

here is the frame with the bits cut off

and with the photo etch bits on

kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Wow I didn't know there was pe for this kit. Looking good
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice choice, Syd, another 80's classic Japanese motorcycle. These were pricey beasts with an RRP of about £8500 when they came out, which was a lot for a motorcycle back then. Current values for bikes in decent nick are in the region of £25-30k. So, yes, deep pockets are required to own one of these machines nowadays!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i have built and painted the engine and frame, i have also done some of the painting on the body work but as it is a multi colour bike i am giving it plenty of time for the paint to harden so i can mask for the second colour which is blue, the red parts is offered as decals so i dont know yet if i am going to use these or paint the red sections

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's looking good, Syd. Personally, I don't generally like decals for stripes or patches of colour and will mask up and paint. Depends on the decal quality of course but with stripes in particular I find the decals often don't fully fit.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun i am of the same opinion as you as regards the decals but some of the wording is printed on the red decals so it would need very careful colour matching so i might just use the decals for the red parts (i think), i have built the one sided swing arm and put some photo etch pieces on and fixed it to the frame
in these photos you can see the photo etch brake disc i have also put some pe cable guides on the swing arm to keep the brake cable from the rear wheel i have also cut the pin for attaching the brake cable off of the brake caliper and put a proper looking one on which came in a resin set

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with the swing arm assembly, Syd.

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i have done some more to the Honda built the air box and carbs and got them on the bike also the rear wheel is finished and on, i had a bit of disaster with the tank and the top of the fairing when i took the masking tape off the paint came off with it in places so had to be rubbed down, i am in the process of repainting them now, i am also starting on the front forks the backs of them is hollow at the bottom so has to be filled and sanded before any painting is done, i have also cut the moulded on fitting for the brake cable off of the brake calipers and i am going to put some resin ones on

here you can see where the hollow part of the forks

the way i fill them is to cut some plastic strip to the lenth of the hollow and glue it in then cut it down and sand it

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

More great progress, Syd and in particular the colour of the exhausts is really stand out. Shame about the paint being lifted and it's a real bind when that happens. I can't understand why Tamiya elected to make those slots in the forks if they shouldn't be there - maybe it saved a few yen's worth of plastic per kit :???:

IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Shaun maybe it is easier to get them out of the mould like that i have filled and sanded down now in process of painting, had some more disaster with the body work when i put some clear lacquer on it seemed to eat into the white parts, i dont know why as i have not done anything different to what i normally do so i will have to try and figure out what is going on, so i will be leaving it unfinished for now and see if i can sort out what is wrong, luckly i did not put any decals on yet as i like to give it a coat of lacquer first to seal the paint.
this is what i mean

if any one has any idea as to what is happening i would be very grateful
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i have finished the vfr the paint work is not much good i dont know what is happening with it but it is a lot better than the first attempt, i have used the same paints and the same technique i always use the only difference is i used a brand new airbrush, but i sprayed airbrush cleaner and thinners through before i used it, it is an Iwata so should be a good one

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

I can't pick any faults with it Syd. Nice work.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I like it as well, Syd, looks good to me. Iwata have a good reputation and I'm wondering if perhaps you didn't get all of the airbrush cleaner out before applying the paint. Certainly the cleaner will spoil the paint and it doesn't take much.

IPMS#12300

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”