Chris's Cobbling Bench

Show us a view of your workbench / work in progress and build reports too.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Chris's Cobbling Bench

Post by chrism »

iggie wrote:Enjoying the mix of builds going on Chris, but I have to admit the thought of PE at 1/700 gives me the creeps! 1/350 is bad enough :shock:
That etch sheet gave me a bout of the heeby jeebies when I opened it. My first thoughts on seeing it were somewhat mixed, and I have had a few days of looking at it and wondering if it was really an unnecessary purchase .... but I will have a go with it and see how I get on.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Sounds like a well engineered kit then. If a kit is a little pricey but builds well and has excellent detail then fine - there's nothing worse than an expensive kit that is a nightmare to build. AA usually has a good display of their kits at SMW. Given that Kit Form Services' prices are steep even by AA's often lofty standards, I think I'd expect them to come round and soothe my brow and make the tea as I nervously assembled one of their kits, trying not to think of the cost :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Progress has been slow and painful on most areas of the Vosper build for the last few days. Getting the hull masked and painted so that both sides look reasonably alike .... and then in between I have been trying to sort out the bandstand and torpedo tube fittings....

Here is where I now am.

the etch metal saddles and supports for the torpedo tubes are going to improve that aspect a lot.
These parts are certainly worth the cost for upgrading them. Whereas I am now coming onto being of the opinion that the bandstand is not worth the aggrivation

I have conceded and ended up using the kit base for the bandstand, as it is as you saw in earlier shots, slightly smaller than the resin one, and fits into the space given for it with the storage boxes and other paraphanalia that have got to be fitted around it.
I have had to do some surgery on the supports that fit underneath. There are 2 sets provided - one for a bandstand with a tilt the other for a horizontal one. It seems as if I shall have to utilise parts from both sets to get something that fits ...

There has been some progress on the container ship too, and I will have a little more to paint on that one soon.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Vosper hull is looking good, Chris and no doubt PE set will work wonders to improve the basic kit which is, after all, from an earlier age! Colombo Express looks interesting, I'm not altogether sure that I've seen a container ship built on here before.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Cheers Shaun.

Little time has presented itself to me for modelling this week, but there was enough time to get the hull on the container ship masked and moved on a little.

I am hoping that this weekend will enable me to get the Container ship hull finished, and allow me to start and get a few of the kit parts glued down on the deck of the Vosper.
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Good looking MV Chris 8-)
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
iggie

Post by iggie »

How are the containers supplied? I'm imagining you going slightly bonkers assembling a couple of hundred tiny boxes :-D

I guess they are in blocks or something?
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

The containers are represented by 22 blocks of different shapes that have you be made up from 6 parts into boxes/blocks and each of those 22 blocks will represent say 100 to 150 containers .... and will require a lot of masking to look authentic. You'll see better as we get into that stage. I have tonight just sat and made first couple of these blocks up. Photos over weekend.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I just wish I had the patience that you have.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

chrism wrote:The containers are represented by 22 blocks of different shapes that have you be made up from 6 parts into boxes/blocks and each of those 22 blocks will represent say 100 to 150 containers .... and will require a lot of masking to look authentic. You'll see better as we get into that stage. I have tonight just sat and made first couple of these blocks up. Photos over weekend.
Hooley Dooley!

David
chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks guys for looking in and commenting. Hopefully my productive afternoons work and the following images will now explain all regarding the containers.

This first photo shows pretty much all of them.

They all have a very distinctive front and back moulded piece.

This is one stack and represents 7 containers high by 17 wide across the vessel

They are all differing sizes as you find in reality, to represent different types of normal shipping containers. ... Out of the 22 stacks made in total, there are only four that are made twice identically the same

I have had to label the undersides, as they all slot onto the deck in a very specific order to fit with the bearers which in reality can be moved when a vessel is loaded

A taster of the instructions ....

Here they are just placed on the deck to give an idea ....

You even build one stack to fit around the lifeboat chute - again as they are stacked in real life...

painting wise .... I shall be occupied for some time .... and will tackle each block now as separate task, here is an idea of a suggested paint scheme as given on instruction book...

chrism

Post by chrism »

Thanks guys for looking in and commenting. Hopefully my productive afternoons work and the following images will now explain all regarding the containers.

This first photo shows pretty much all of them.

They all have a very distinctive front and back moulded piece.

This is one stack and represents 7 containers high by 17 wide across the vessel

They are all differing sizes as you find in reality, to represent different types of normal shipping containers. ... Out of the 22 stacks made in total, there are only four that are made twice identically the same

I have had to label the undersides, as they all slot onto the deck in a very specific order to fit with the bearers which in reality can be moved when a vessel is loaded

A taster of the instructions ....

Here they are just placed on the deck to give an idea ....

You even build one stack to fit around the lifeboat chute - again as they are stacked in real life...

painting wise .... I shall be occupied for some time .... and will tackle each block now as separate task, here is an idea of a suggested paint scheme as given on instruction book...

iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks like a lot of painting! A bit like do it yourself Rubiks cubes!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
celt

Post by celt »

You have made enough blocks to make Mr Lego jealous,well tidy indeed.I will watch with interest.
Regards
Ken.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Just catching up with this thread Chris and apologies for not paying more attention. Blown away by the way you're managing all these outstanding builds. The Vosper s shaping up to be amazing, the container ship is looking like an interesting challenge and, seeing the Huey, I can't wait to find out what your finished result will be for the Cold War SIG table. 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!

Return to “Workbench Window”