Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 A06016 1/72 New Tool

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 A06016 1/72 New Tool

Post by iggie »

Awaited by many as a successor to the old Airfix 1965 release, this new tooling should not disappoint too many people. Ok, so it can only be built OOB as a Navy bird, but there are already after-market parts and decals available for those who wish to portray an RAF version. As ever, I cannot comment on specific accuracy issues, suffice to say it looks like a Phantom even in bits in the box, so there is a good chance that it'll look even more like one once built!

The box is the now usual substantial tray and lid Airfix type (Revell take note!) and compared to some manufacturers, this must add a fair chunk to their production costs. For those like me with stash storage issues, where boxes of necessity need to be stacked ever higher, strong boxes are worth having! The box art is well up to the standard of recent Airfix releases, and is by Adam Tooby. the usual notes regarding the subject, decal variations etc. are printed on the sides.

The instructions are printed clearly on plain white paper, with the now expected grey-scale illustrations with red (and isolated green) highlighting to indicate specific parts or sub-assemblies. All looks fairly logical, and there are useful guides regarding the three major build options (Wheels up, Take-off, or storage) and weapons load-out (of which there are plenty of choices). There are two further sheets printed on glossy paper showing the three differing schemes provided, plus a fourth showing the location of the myriad stencils included on the decal sheet! Talking of decals, the sheet is very nicely printed, with nice clear colours and all look to be in register where applicable. They are printed by Cartograph.

The box states that the kit is made in India, and the plastic is a light grey colour and feels a little harder than some of the older Chinese produced Airfix releases. Although the inevitable ejector pin marks are present, it is unlikely that any will be visible or need filling; no corresponding sink marks can be seen either. Sprue gates are reasonably small but I'm sure there will still be a couple that give problems when releasing the smaller or fine parts! There are six grey frames, and one of (very!) clear parts.

Panel lines look to be nicely done; obvious enough to still be seen under paint, but not so big that things fall in never to be seen again. There is also extensive rivet detail, again recessed and restrained in size and depth.

As mentioned above, the builder has three build options to consider from the off:
1. In flight, wheels up, or;
2. Ready for catapult launch, with extended nose-wheel oleo and dropped flaps, or;
3. Stowed on or below decks, with wing-tips folded and radar dome swung to one side.
In addition, the radar can be modelled extended (for maintenance) or stowed. Weapons provided include Skyflash and Sidewinders, plus SNEB launchers and 1000lb bombs

All in all, another cracking release from Airfix. I am certain that someone somewhere will have found a missing rivet or fastener which will result in much criticism of Airfix (again); for me, and I suspect most hobbyists, even OOB this will build into a great model which will impress 99.99% of people who see it. Nice job Airfix!

And the real thing in service :grin:

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: Airfix McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1 A06016 1/72 New To

Post by Chuck E »

Looks pretty neat. I'm collecting mine tomorrow.
So many models, so little time.
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for posting this iggie. It looks like a nice kit but I'll be building what I have in the stash (Fujimi, Hasegawa and Revell) before I buy any more Phantoms.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I was going to pass on getting one of these.......mind changed. Ho dear.
Cheers for the review.

all the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
fredk

Post by fredk »

Over on Britmodeller a chap got the FGR2 frame in his kit instead of the FG1 tail planes/radar/ Matra rocket pods/open nose cone parts. He provided pix to prove it. FGR2 frame has non-slatted tail planes, short nose wheel oleo, SUU gun pod and recce pod
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Gregers wrote:I was going to pass on getting one of these.......mind changed. Ho dear.
Cheers for the review.

all the best.

Greg.
He He :-D :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Any crew figures? With the in-flight option, I would expect them, but I can't see them on the sprues.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
fredk

Post by fredk »

No crew figures
iggie

Post by iggie »

fredk wrote:No crew figures
Nope, no crew figures I'm afraid...... :-|
Best wishes

Jim
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers for the review.

I’m tempted as I worked on 767 squadron back in 1970-71 as a Naval Aircraft Mechanic AE (airframe & engines)

Why are they calling it an FG1 we always referred to it as F4K?
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I have no idea why the variant terminology is as it is; a quick look on Google for XT864 gives results stating both FG.1 and F4K, sometimes on the same site..... confusing!
Best wishes

Jim
fredk

Post by fredk »

afaik F4K or M is McDonnell Douglas classification, FG1 & FGR2 is British forces designation
like P51 B/C = Mustang III
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Nice review and I see you're listed as a review on Scalemates. Congrats
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I wonder why the undercarriage bay doors for the nose wheel are in clear plastic. The large one appears to be moulded the wrong way.
So many models, so little time.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Chuck E wrote:I wonder why the undercarriage bay doors for the nose wheel are in clear plastic. The large one appears to be moulded the wrong way.
Indeed they are; odd choice, and perhaps to achieve a thinner part?
The illustration of the opened doors does make it look like the larger door is 'dished', but I've just looked at the part and it is flat on the reverse side :grin:
Best wishes

Jim

Return to “In-Box reviews”