Airfix Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 1/48 New Tool A06105

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 1/48 New Tool A06105

Post by iggie »

New tool arrivals from Mssrs Airfix & Co. are dropping onto the door mat thick and fast just now; this is the latest arrival and is the much awaited 1/48 scale Hawker Sea Fury FB.11.
Again, we have the now normal top opening tray and lid style box (nice and substantial; take note Revell!) with wonderful artwork by Adam Tooby depicting an aircraft of 801 Naval Air Squadron in an attack on a bridge in Korea, having flown off HMS Glory.
Inside the box there are 5 light grey sprues in one large bag, which also contains one further small bag containing the single sprue of clear parts.
All in all, the parts look to be well up to current Airfix standards, with finely engraved panel lines and nicely done rivet & fastner detailing in appropriate places. Rivet detail on the elevator parts is raised as would appear to be correct from the real aircraft; although raised, they are not the fondly remembered mountains of yesteryear!
The instructions are also in the now expected format, printed on slightly soft paper in greyscale with colour highlights depicting completed sub-assemblies, certain parts or painted areas.
From both the parts and the instructions, the cockpit looks to be very well detailed and should build into a very busy little space once complete; the IP has raised details and dial/gauge surrounds and there are individual and some grouped decals to add as dial and gauge faces. A wing spar features (another Airfix norm nowadays it seems) which should help stiffen up the connection of the centre wing portions; outer wings can be posed open or folded, and there are inserts to add for the folded option to represent the fold locks etc.
Other than the wing fold or not, other options include pose-able control surfaces, U/C up or down and underwing stores and ordnance, of which there seems to be plenty provided.
Decals are by Cartograph, look superb and with no carrier film visible beyond the outer edge of each decal.
Other than having been tooled in totally the wrong scale ( :ha: ), I cannot see any problems with the kit. As I always say, there will be those out there more familiar with the type, who may find accuracy issues that I can't see, and those who will find other matters to criticise. For most however, it's another great kit from Airfix of a popular aircraft of it's time, whose popularity extends into the modern era thanks to preserved examples still flying. Keep 'em coming Airfix! (only 1/72 or 1/24th please? :-D )

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Airfix Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 1/48 New Tool A06105

Post by JamesPerrin »

I'm kind of hoping that CMK or similar do a full engine insert for this - I'm sure it would cost more than the kit but I'll be sorely tempted as this is my favourite piston fighter.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

There are reports on Britmodeller from a number of people who have received this kit with a short shot starboard vertical fin leading edge. In most cases the issue is a minor fix, but at least some have reported that a significant part of the fin is missing. If you buy this kit and don't intend to build it right away, it might be a good idea to check all the parts before consigning it to the stash. I bought several copies (I've already started building one) and fortunately none of them were afflicted with the problem.
It is a lovely kit. Fit is mostly very good. The outer and inner wing panels fit especially well, which is good news if you intend to build the kit with extended wings.
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Looks like a wonderful kit that can easily become a stunning build. Along with Mr. Perrin, I have a special fondness for this aircraft.
mylo66
Getting well comfy!

Post by mylo66 »

Any finding scuff marks on their canopy? It may polish out or disappear with a dip in future. I have yet to try.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

What is that hanging under the right (from cockpit) wing on the boxart -- open nose looks like a jet pod ??

I am happy to see Airfix is taking the opportunity to include folding wing options.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

jRatz wrote:What is that hanging under the right (from cockpit) wing on the boxart -- open nose looks like a jet pod ??
John,

I thought the same thing. I found this on the Hornby UK web sire in regard to the box art:

"Although the RNHF VR930 Sea Fury scheme will be an incredibly popular option with modellers adding A06105 to their build schedule, the announcement of this spectacular box artwork will make our scheme selection decision incredibly difficult. The enthralling picture above features the No.801 NAS Sea Fury covered with the primary decal option included with the kit and shows Fleet Air Arm aircraft engaging in ground attack operations during the Korean War, in support of UN ground operations. The artwork shows WJ236 seconds after releasing a pair of 500lb bombs on a viaduct, with a second aircraft in the process of making its attack run. WJ236 is also pictured equipped with an under-wing fuel tank and camera pod, so that the effectiveness of the raid could be assessed once the aircraft returned to HMS Glory."

Odd design for a camera pod isn't it?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh man, Airfix is seriously trying to tempt me into buying their wonderful new tool kits and risking the wrath of the Household Chancellor who has other priorities for the family budget :ha: This looks excellent and, IMHO, is in the best scale for single-seat fighters. Plus my favourite scheme for a Royal Navy aircraft - EDSG over Sky. What's not to like?

Thanks for letting us peep into another one of your purchases, Iggie!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

PropWash wrote:
jRatz wrote:What is that hanging under the right (from cockpit) wing on the boxart -- open nose looks like a jet pod ??
John,

I thought the same thing. I found this on the Hornby UK web sire in regard to the box art:

"The artwork shows WJ236 seconds after releasing a pair of 500lb bombs on a viaduct, with a second aircraft in the process of making its attack run. WJ236 is also pictured equipped with an under-wing fuel tank and camera pod, so that the effectiveness of the raid could be assessed once the aircraft returned to HMS Glory."

Odd design for a camera pod isn't it?
Not if you envision the cameraman laying flat inside rapidly snapping pix out the front :)

Thanks for explaining that !
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

The camera pod seems to be a fairly rare item; I can't find any reference material on it anywhere!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
VMA131Marine
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by VMA131Marine »

iggie wrote:The camera pod seems to be a fairly rare item; I can't find any reference material on it anywhere!
It seems like it was an improvised modification of a drop tank
WIP Hasegawa 1/72 Yak-3, Hasegawa 1/72 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, Hasegawa 1/72 J2M3 Raiden, Hasegawa 1/72 Mosquito NF.2, Airfix 1/48 Mosquito NF.30
Last kit completed: Hasegawa 1/72 Yakovlev Yak-3
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

I was hoping there was a stencil decal or two giving a clue, but I don't see any indicated on the instructions.

But if you are right about the drop tank improvisation, then maybe I'm right about the cameraman inside :)
DH-Drover
Active Participant

Post by DH-Drover »

If any bodies are interested I have a set of photos of the Australian War Memorial Museum Sea Fury.
I do not have copies on my computer that I could email. However if the receiver would like to post them on THIS forum they have my permission.
PM me with yr addy.

Dai
Life or Death there no other options.
Indian Proverb.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Just got mine recently and no evidence of any parts short shot. Unlike the Me262 main landing gear tire.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
fireblade
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by fireblade »

iggie wrote:The camera pod seems to be a fairly rare item; I can't find any reference material on it anywhere!
Image[/url]

The most common short shot was on the fin leading edge, it doesn't take much to fix it.

You might also find that the ring enclosing the exhausts is also slightly short short.

This is a bit trickier, I might try layers of CA built up and shaped. I know of some people removing the whole of the raised lip and replacing it with card or left over PE shim.

One puzzling omission is the gun sight, but apparently the warbird that was measured wasn't fitted with one. If you have the Eduard PE set (well worth obtaining), it contains a gun sight.
Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
You can't turn back the clock,
You can't turn back the tide,
Ain't that a shame

Return to “In-Box reviews”