Airfix 1:144 Alitalia Boeing 727 *Complete*

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Re: Airfix 1:144 Alitalia Boeing 727

Post by Tarkas »

coptermech wrote:
JamesPerrin wrote:Not a kit I've seen built before. Why didn't you use the kit windows and then fill the remaining gaps?
There are no clear windows with the kit. The openings are very small. The green decal runs the entire length of the fuselage right over the windows and doesn't have spots for windows. I suppose this is why window decals are supplied.
Could be worse. The old Airfix method of dealing with airliner windows in 1/144th scale was a real pain. They supplied clear plastic windows and the decal sheet included a full cheat line with no window holes in it. What you were supposed to do was paint the fuselage before assembling it, apply the cheat line decals and let them dry, and then punch window holes in them using a special little tool that was part of the kit. Once that was done (and assuming the cheat lines hadn't been torn to shreds as you punched put all the holes, you then added the windows from inside the fuselage and assembled it. How people coped with filling seams and the like, I don't know, nor what they were supposed to do with paint schemes like that of BOAC, where the cheat line wrapped around the nose.

I tried to do that for the first release of the Airfix Concorde kit, but gave up fairly soon and painted it as 002, the British prototype -- which the kit was based on, thereby being significantly different from both the pre-production and production aircraft. Never really worked out how to do the lettering along the fuselage because I didn't have access to generic letter decals and didn't know about Letraset, but it looked all right, especially alongside the 1/132 scale Tu-144 that I had (VEB Plasticart? Some Eastern European kitmaker, anyway).
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

coptermech wrote:.............

Was out with the wife and daughter, and they wanted to stop by a local beauty supply shop. So, as I was just sitting there while they were shopping, I noticed this and picked one up. It's a soft foam sanding block used for fingernails, but it worked perfectly sanding down the fuselage. It conformed very nicely to the contours. I'll have to go back and pick up different grits.

Ha, that´s how my buddies from my modelling club do it, too!
"No, darling, I don´t mind coming to the beauty supply shop with you, it´s not a bore at all, you know, they really have some interesting stuff for me there :grin: !"
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
Kitaholic
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Kitaholic »

I use a similar thing from Boots, 4 grades on one block for £2. Can use them wet and they're washable too
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

A bit more progress. The fuselage is assembled and drying. I've decided to do this in flight, so a bit of work to close up the wheel wells and air stair door. Once everything is dry, I'll fill in and sand down the gear door and air stair. Otherwise, aside from cleaning up the seams, it doesn't look like any other filler is needed.
I've also made a hole to fit a threaded bushing into so I can mount this to a base later on.

Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Crashpilot wrote:
coptermech wrote:.............

Was out with the wife and daughter, and they wanted to stop by a local beauty supply shop. So, as I was just sitting there while they were shopping, I noticed this and picked one up. It's a soft foam sanding block used for fingernails, but it worked perfectly sanding down the fuselage. It conformed very nicely to the contours. I'll have to go back and pick up different grits.

Ha, that´s how my buddies from my modelling club do it, too!
"No, darling, I don´t mind coming to the beauty supply shop with you, it´s not a bore at all, you know, they really have some interesting stuff for me there :grin: !"

Mrs Dazzled picked up a pack of these sanding blocks from a pound shop in Telford because she thought "they might be useful for me".

I think she's a keeper ;-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Small speed bump with some paint....the gray I used on the wings didn't come out well. So, a chance for me to try out removing it with oven cleaner.
Regards, Tony

Current Projects: Revell 1/48 F-15C, Hobby Boss 1/72 F-22 Raptor, Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Made some progress on the 727. Wings and fuselage painted. Just some small detail painting to do. The cockpit window glazing was quite thick and didn't fit too well. I ended up filling and sanding all around, and I'll just paint the windows black. Not like there is anything to be seen anyways.

Once the paint has hardened up in a few days, I'll start decals.

Regards, Tony

coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Cockpit windows painted on. Ready to start decals on this later.

Regards, Tony

coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

First set of decals on. Behaving so far.

Regards, Tony

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Very nice work so far, Tony.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice! I always liked the old Alitalia schemes; colourful but striking as well
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Thanks for the comments!!
Regards, Tony

coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

First side decals all done. I'll do the other side tommorow after they've set up.

Regards, Tony

coptermech
Active Participant

Post by coptermech »

Another shot with the wing in place. It's not fastened in yet. I'll do that at the end. They are a nice tight fit, and it's easier to decal without them in the way.

Regards, Tony

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That's coming together nicely. Great decals.

Nigel

Return to “Aviation Modelling”