More fun in the snow in Georgia, January 2018

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

More fun in the snow in Georgia, January 2018

Post by Chuck Finley »

Back on January 16, 2018, Atlanta, Georgia had yet another round of snow. This time, Gwinnett County Schools (where I teach) was shut down for two days. Time to do some building and photography! I spent the time shut in building the new Turan family from IBG Models and a Hasegawa Ki-67 bomber. As soon as the first rays of daylight bathed this winter wonderland, I pulled out another snow camoflaged vehicle for photography in it's natural element. The model was an old Sturmgeshutz IV coded 214 of an unknown unit on the Easter Front in winter 1944. The kit was on original 'green box' edition from 1970 and even had openings on the bottom hull for motorization!. The markings came from the "Pz.Kpfw.IV family book and decals from Kagero and the model painted with Sovereign colourcoats.

Of course, with the Monogram tanks, you have to add the battle damaged skirts or it wouldn't be right, :-D
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
iggie

Re: More fun in the snow in Georgia, January 2018

Post by iggie »

Very nice Chuck!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
59North

Post by 59North »

Very, very nice modelling work. I like the paint, and especially the battle damage. Did you melt those blast holes through?
By the size of the snowflakes, I can tell it is still fairly warm where you are. To get the nice flour snow, you need to get the -30C or -40C like it has been here. Sorry to say your snow is slightly out of scale. :lol:
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

59North wrote:Very, very nice modelling work. I like the paint, and especially the battle damage. Did you melt those blast holes through?
By the size of the snowflakes, I can tell it is still fairly warm where you are. To get the nice flour snow, you need to get the -30C or -40C like it has been here. Sorry to say your snow is slightly out of scale. :lol:

While it's doesn't get that cold down here, the refreezing of melting snow does play havoc with driving. You wouldn't happen to be living in Yellowknife would you? The battle damage panels come with the kit. Monogram did the same with their Pz.kfw.IV, Brumbar, and Jagdpanzer.IV. Just cut off the undamaged panel and replace with the battle damage.
59North

Post by 59North »

Chuck Finley wrote:You wouldn't happen to be living in Yellowknife would you?
No, not the Territories. Northwest Alberta is where I live and play.
I do like your modelling, well done.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done and it looks great in the snow albeit with the latter being slightly overscale! Just one point that I hope you don't mind me making, Chuck, but it looks to me like the skirt armour plates are upside down. The sloping edges to the front and rear plates should be at the top of the run of the armour, leaving the largely straight edges at the bottom (the front plate has sloping top and bottom edges).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

I like that a lot - I want one of those!
running at the edge of their world
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Excellent work, Chuck.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

ShaunW wrote:Nicely done and it looks great in the snow albeit with the latter being slightly overscale! Just one point that I hope you don't mind me making, Chuck, but it looks to me like the skirt armour plates are upside down. The sloping edges to the front and rear plates should be at the top of the run of the armour, leaving the largely straight edges at the bottom (the front plate has sloping top and bottom edges).
The skirts are attached as shown in the directions and where the supports are located on the back of the plates. This kit is out of box with the exception of decals.

Return to “Tanks, AFV and other Military Models”