3-D Printing and Laser Cutting.

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
Chuck E
Established 1949

3-D Printing and Laser Cutting.

Post by Chuck E »

Just a Heads Up. Has anyone tried 3-D Printing. I did see a link to items fro Migrant Models. Wondering if this is our Migrant?

Anyone else tried this?

I have been buying some laser cut items too. These look terrific.

I would be interested to know if any of our members have had any experiences.
So many models, so little time.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: 3-D Printing and Laser Cutting.

Post by JamesPerrin »

We have an Ultimaker 2 at work that I have access to, but have yet had time to knock up the 3D designs that I want to print. It's quite a course finish as it not designed for fine parts but could be used. I would though think about using online services as you can get access to industry grade machines, but obviously you pay a higher costs per part
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Thanks, James. I saw some lads at a model show last year with some printed designs. They were very finely finished and just needed paint.
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by rob_van_riel »

Chuck E wrote:Anyone else tried this?
I did. Loads of work, fairly expensive parts, but with the right printers, pretty good quality too. I'll continue to dabble in this for hard or impossible to source parts; I'm better at 3D design than sculpting :cry: Unless the parts are particularly tricky to make moulds for, my default approach would be to print a master, then cast resin copies. See here for my first dabblings: http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=15630;
Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Dazzled »

I think the technology involved is only going to get cheaper as progress in development of printers and printing material is moving very rapidly indeed.
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

Dazzled wrote:I think the technology involved is only going to get cheaper as progress in development of printers and printing material is moving very rapidly indeed.
I agree. I didn't have much time to talk to Paul, at our model meeting, do to a Demo taking up most of the night. I had been looking at a very nice 'O' Gauge steam loco, which happened to be his and was built from 3-D printed parts. One word of advice was to get the software first and practice your designs. Don't even think of getting a printer until you can manipulate the 3-D model graphics.

More later.

Return to “Construction Tips”