Royal Navy Western Approaches WW2 Camouflage

Boats, ships, submarines and things maritime.
Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Royal Navy Western Approaches WW2 Camouflage

Post by Jaime »

As I've been doing a bit of research on this subject I thought it might be useful to post a couple of photos I have come across online. The first is a B&W image of HMS Winchelsea, a V & W Class destroyer which I am currently modelling, and the second is of HMCS Restigouche, a C Class destroyer with almost identical pattern but in colour. Although I'm not modelling Restigouche & it's a different class of destroyer, I found the image really useful in helping understand how the camouflage colours were applied to various elements of the superstructure & things like the depth charge rails.

Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Re: Royal Navy Western Approaches WW2 Camouflage

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Jaime

I'm sure you already know this, from seeing your model, but ....

Good color photo. The WA scheme is always tough as it varied so much on individual ships, further compounded by shortages/substitutions of colors - I think green was an issue and sometimes a light grey substituted for white.

Here is a scheme from the RN Camo series by Alan Raven, volume 3, showing Winchester in April 1942. It says port side is identical. I can send you a larger scan if desired.

PS: I see that I didn't send you any "dots" for the hull numbers - a sharp-pointed brush should do it. :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Jaime
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Royal Navy Western Approaches WW2 Camouflage

Post by Jaime »

Thanks John,

You're right about the green causing most problems. Having found photos of numerous completed models online beforehand there's a wide variety of examples of how the green has been interpreted. As you can see, I settled on something subtler, which means the green I've used isn't green enough! By the time I had found the HMCS Restigouche colour image I had already painted the hull & given it a 'weathering' wash. I'm not changing it now as there's enough coats of paint on the kit and at 1/700 there's definitely a limit! It's close enough for me & my intentions for the build.

Jaime
Complete: Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose, 1/72: Airfix Swordfish Mk1 Floatplane, Airfix R.A.F. R.E.8, Airfix Hannover CL.111a, Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero, Curtiss P40B Warhawk

Return to “The Shipyard”