Mi Amigo Flypast. Sheffield

Things that fly
Gregers
Forum founder

Mi Amigo Flypast. Sheffield

Post by Gregers »

Thursday evening I got a message from work, "could I go in early Friday". Not the sort of message you would normally want but the message continues "do you want to go see the Flypast tomorrow( Friday). Well. Who am I to refuse A request like that?.
Me. The boss (Gary) and another guy who works with us called Paul (forum member 'Thompson' ) set off in Gary's Land rover for Sheffield. We found a good vantage point overlooking the area and five minutes after we got there the first aircraft flew over.
For those who do not know the story the B17 Mi Amigo was returning from a bad raid in which 400 Amercan flyers not return. The badly shot up Mi Amigo's crew were searching for somewhere to land. They spotted a park and tried to signal to the children playing there to clear the field. The children didn't understand and thought the crew were just waving to them. The crew wouldn't land and endanger the children's lives and the B17 crashed nearby killing all onboard. One of those children has been attending to and caring for the memorial to the crew since just after WW2. this earmarked the 75th anniversary of the crash.
This is not my video, my photos are unfortunately not good enough but this is the Flypast.
https://youtu.be/BZPCPsAvMfw;

Withrespects to the crew of Mi Amigo.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Mi Amigo Flypast. Sheffield

Post by jssel »

Very nice Greg and a fitting tribute to the fallen.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

I saw this on the BBC website yesterday. A moving story - both the sacrifice of the crew and the dedication of the child who grew to keep their memory alive.

It also looked a great tribute flypast.

BBC News - Flypast for WW2 US bomber crash crew
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47337174;

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

I watched it live on the BBC on Friday morning, and it was very moving indeed. I had not heard of this incident before but I now know what unit my second B17 in the stash will be built to represent.
We will do well to make sure that the sacrifices made so long ago now are never forgotten
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I have been searching for decals for this aircraft. No luck so far. Anyone know of any?

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

The aircraft flew from Chelveston
42-31322 WF-V ‘Mi Amigo’ was a Boeing B-17F Flying Fortress from the 364th BS 305th BG, so the unit markings in the old Airfix kit are good, Flak Eater was from the same squadron
This may be of interest
ImageDSC_0004 by Richard Linnell, on Flickr
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers for the info Ratch. I will try and get hold of that sheet.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein

Return to “Aviation Hangar”