Testor´s Snap Fit kit of a P-51D in 1:72

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Testor´s Snap Fit kit of a P-51D in 1:72

Post by Crashpilot »

First of all: this is more of a kit for small and big kids, like me, but I give it a review, nevertheless.
It´s not for the "adult modeller" :ha:
The original box was too big for my stash space, so I put it in a smaller one:
it comes with a krappy brush that might be still good enuff for dry brushing, a paint tray with 3 colours:
seems, the lids are more or less airtight - I bought it about a year ago, and at least red & yellow are still fluid :)
(Haven´t tried them out yet, this tray can have its purpose, for mixing your own stuff, f.e., methinks)
and there´s a bulky stand:
as you can expect from a snap fit kit, parts count is really low:

fit of parts is ok, but not overwhelming. Seam lines quite showy, see the pics down below!

I´m goin to glue it, but beware! the plastic surface here is very slick, it´s better to sand the surface you want
to put glue on, a bit, so the glue can do its melting process.
I already tried to glue in the ´pit, I didn´t sand before; for the pics, I could pull the parts off, and the glue hadn´t melted at all :roll:
the markings in this one are interesting, and a bit unusual: for 2 Canadian birds:
transfers look well printed!
Theres another boxing of this kit available, with an USAAF marking option, for some yellow tailed bird.
Built OOB, it will look a bit toyish, but with some TLC, quite ok, I believe.
The way it´s made, it reminds me a lot of the old Matchbox Mustang :)
One could argue: why get this kit, and then have to spend some extra time, just to make it look good,
when there are so many other Mustang kits out there, that arent necessarily expensive?
Well, if you have a kid at home, that wants to do some dogfights in the living room, it´s still interesting -
there are not many parts on it, that can break off!

theres no wheels down option, so those cannot break off :razz:

The spinner is a bit bulgy, but sanding will take care of that:
theres no pilot offered! though u can only build it in-flight -
enuff pilots in my spares box, for these cases:
the canopy is, very "matchboxy"-like, thick, but remarkably clear! only little distortion
(you can see in the pic, that I cut off the exhausts, didn´t like them, I´ll use ones from the spares box)

Shapewise, the kit is not too bad, but leading and trailing edges do look klunky, indeed:
Well, I´m one that likes to make simple kits look better,
so, for my purposes, this will be fun to build!
(But dunno yet, when to start on it....)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Testor´s Snap Fit kit of a P-51D in 1:72

Post by ShaunW »

I don't think proper adults build models, Crash :ha: This will be fine for a quick, fun, build or a blitz. OK it's not the best P-51D kit out there but what the heck. I agree, the decals look nice.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

ShaunW wrote:I don't think proper adults build models, Crash :ha:
No, just us improper ones :mrgreen: -- or should that be vulgar ones, like fractions? :ha: ;-)
Crashpilot wrote:theres no wheels down option, so those cannot break off
For a minute there, I thought they'd left out the landing gear cover plates as well, but then I eventually spotted them. Is it me, or are they a bit far forward on the wing...? :?:
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Crashpilot

Post by Crashpilot »

Tarkas wrote:
ShaunW wrote:I don't think proper adults build models, Crash :ha:
No, just us improper ones :mrgreen: -- or should that be vulgar ones, like fractions? :ha: ;-)
"Improper adults" - that´s a good expression for people like us, I believe.
For almost all of us, this hobby is a carry-over thing from their childhood days :)
Crashpilot wrote:theres no wheels down option, so those cannot break off
Tarkas wrote: For a minute there, I thought they'd left out the landing gear cover plates as well, but then I eventually spotted them. Is it me, or are they a bit far forward on the wing...? :?:
Their position is not too off, it´s the angle of the shot (not straight up, more taken offset, from behind to the front of the fuse.) that makes it seem so. But, of course, all panel lines are simplified, Testors wants you to snap & slap it together in one afternoon :)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Interesting....I wonder what the origin of this kit is / was? I don't think Testors ever had any tooling made on their own. Some of their kits were the old Hawk tooling that they bought long ago and they've re-popped various other makers kits over the years. This one is what I'd call "clunky" but the canopy does look good and the overall a/c seems somewhat reasonable. That prop, on the other hand, is probably one of the worst I've ever seen. Cant wait to see it finished!
uavdb (Dave)
Crashpilot

Post by Crashpilot »

About the origin I have no clue, uavdb. There was only one other kit in that "quick-build model" series I know of, an F4U Corsair
(NOT a re-issue of the old Hawk F4U, but a new tool).
No time for modelling right now, but I guess towards the end of the year, I´ll make this model.

uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Crashpilot wrote:About the origin I have no clue, uavdb. There was only one other kit in that "quick-build model" series I know of, an F4U Corsair.
No time for modelling right now, but I guess towards the end of the year, I´ll make this model.
No worries. The end of the year will be here before we know it!
uavdb (Dave)

Return to “In-Box reviews”