Having panel-line problems (help needed)

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
PropWash
Active Participant

Having panel-line problems (help needed)

Post by PropWash »

I built a 1/144 Revell Ekranoplan model that is screaming for some detail work on the panel lines. The problem is that the lines are ever-so-lightly inscribed into the plastic (Revell did a very nice job on this model btw). So after painting and covering the model with clear acrylic, the already shallow lines are even shallower and cannot readily hold any "darkening" agent I've tried so far. The model is, basically, one color (without the decals) so being able to highlight some of the lines would make it pop a bit.

I've gone through this, and other, forums and videos online. Here's what I've attempted so far (testing on the tailplane) :

1. Using a fine ink pen nib to put wash into the lines. Coverage was not uniform and cleaning the lines (removing excess wash) made a mess and resulted in a repaint of the test area.

2. Using the ink pen nib again, I tried black ink and met with the same result as before.

3. Tried using mechanical pencil and it didn't look all that good when done. Another repaint. :roll:

I think the wash would be best, but I don't think the model would look "new" in the sense that, when they were in brief service, the Ekranoplans were well-kept. So I don't think you would have one that was weathered and dirty. The problem I'm having is probably of my own doing, so if you can suggest something to try I would appreciate it. Thanks! :-D
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Having panel-line problems (help needed)

Post by splash »

Have you tried using a strip of Dymo Tape as a ruler and a very fine propelling pencil with a soft lead. I find the Dymo tape sticks well around curved surfaces but doesn’t lift the paint when peeled off.

Black ink might be too dark The grey of a pencil might look better.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Splash,

Thanks for responding and for the tip. :grin: I tried that this afternoon and it worked pretty well. I had lots of weird angles to do free-hand (which didn't fare as well), but I am happy with the result. Now to decal!

Take care.

Bret
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

The Dymo tape also works well to guide scribing, for the same reasons Splash gave.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

jRatz wrote:The Dymo tape also works well to guide scribing, for the same reasons Splash gave.
Thanks, John. I'll give that a try next time.

Return to “Finishing Tips”