glass options

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
dayzofspeed
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

glass options

Post by dayzofspeed »

Been mulling things over recently re: glazing options for my Titanic build. I know theres stuff like thinned pva, kristal klear, acetate sheets etc and I was thinking what is going to give the most glass like appearance...then it dawned on me the best glass is...glass right?
Obviously normal glass is way too thick but what about microscope slide covers...those things are very thin and light. So has anyone ever tried using them...I'd love to hear your opinions on the matter...

Kev
I stared a century thinking this will never change
As I hesitated, time rushed onwards without me
Too scared to break the spell, too small to take a fall
But the absolute luck is, love is in our hearts!

Lyrics By P. Weller
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: glass options

Post by Gregers »

Never tried it with microscope slides myself but cutting them may be difficult. I have cut glass before but the. Thinnest I cut was 3mm. I found that harder than thicker stuff as too much pressure with the cutting wheel caused it to shatter. What about using clear acetate sheet? You can get that quite clear.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I think you’re over thinking it. Messing around with tiny shards of thin glass is more likely to result in injury. I’d stick with acetate on your model. Using PVAs though has the advantage that they can be applied after painting once the model model has been constructed.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

I would back the windows with clear plastic cut from vac moulded packaging then use UV resin glue to fill the frame. It hardens crystal clear. I've used it this way for windows on vehicles and aeroplanes.
The UV resin hardens in about 5 to 10 seconds under applied UV light. Large areas need longer time
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Have you had a look at the range of things Deluxe Materials have for scenic effects?
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “Construction Tips”