Canopy frames question

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Canopy frames question

Post by DavidWomby »

I am about to do a 1/72 Lancaster canopy. I know about applying strips of painted decal or Scotch (Sello) Tape as one solution and I know about masking the clear panels to paint the frames too.

However, I am tempted to go with the old 'brush them on freehand and clean up the edges with a wet cocktail stick' on this one but I have a question: if I dip the canopy in Future/Klear first and then paint on the frames with acrylic paint, will the cocktail stick clean up damage the clear parts coated in Future/Klear? I don't want to dip the canopy after painting the frames as then the frames would end up glossy!

Anybody tried this?

David
fredk

Re: Canopy frames question

Post by fredk »

yes, that works. I do it sometimes. It also works if you do not put Future/Klear on first. As long as the paint is a water based acrylic, eg Humbrol, Revell or Vallejo, but not Tamiya
I let the paint dry and make a chisel tip on the cocktail stick, only using a pointy one on corners
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

fredk wrote:yes, that works. I do it sometimes. It also works if you do not put Future/Klear on first. As long as the paint is a water based acrylic, eg Humbrol, Revell or Vallejo, but not Tamiya
I let the paint dry and make a chisel tip on the cocktail stick, only using a pointy one on corners
Thanks. I'll give it a go and have just dunked the canopy and turrets in Future. Hopefully I will get to try brushing on frames tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

David
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

I tend to find that the Future will come up using that method. I much prefer decal strips or Kabuki tape masking. Yes, a lot of work, but I find it gives better results. And it is, after all, arguably the most prominent part of a model.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
fredk

Post by fredk »

Let the Future/Klear cure for some days then its less likely to chip off with the paint. If it does, just flood the area with fresh F/K, this will soften the old and mix in.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I'll be able to experiment a bit, gents. I have a spare set of the canopy and turrets.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

I would dip the canopy after framing or at least don’t use acrylic paint for the frames.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Early Bird Fan

Post by Early Bird Fan »

i dip mine in Humbrol gloss varnish, it seems to work well and doesn't come off during the clean up process. It also helps the cocktail stick glide easier while you're cleaning up the edges
Current Builds:
Revell 1/48 S.e.5a
Revell 1/72 P-47 'bolt
Frog 1/72 Bleriot X1
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Because it is such a glasshouse on the Lancaster and because I was up before 5am this morning, I decided Paul was right and this time I would make framing from painted Scotch/Sello Tape. I'm happy with the results although it took 2 hours. It's not glued on the fuselage yet, just sat there:

However, the tape is not adhering very well in places so I thought I should probably dip it in Future again. A couple of challenges with that: a), it got handled so much it could do with cleaning but I am scared I'll displace some tape doing that and b) that will make the frames gloss so do you apply matt clear with a thin brush to the frames?

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

I opted not to clean it rather than risk damaging the framing. So it's had a second dunk in Future and I will brush some matt clear onto the frames when it's dried.

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

It looks very neat David, but if my attempts are anything to go by the tape will lift a little in places as you have found. As you are proposing, a coat of gloss will help seal it in place and then some matt varnish on the frames.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
fredk

Post by fredk »

It takes several coats of F/K to make matt paint even semi-matt. I'd not worry a bit about dipping the canopy once or twice.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Looks great, David!

Some years ago, it was Aeromaster, I think, that released decal sheets that were printed with various WWII interior colours, then overlaid with a camo colour, specifically for canopy framing. I think I have some somewhere....
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"

Return to “Finishing Tips”