Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine Razorback

Single pictures of space vehicles, flights of fantasy, Sci-Fi and What-if? models
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine Razorback

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

This is the “completed” Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine Razorback. I say completed in quotes because I left some parts off and added a couple of my own. Until now I only built pretty conventional scale model kits, but I had an absolute hoot doing this one. Here are some quick thoughts:

The fit is great and very solid throughout (any bad fit you see is my own sloppiness in my eagerness to get it built and painted!).

Each part is strong and chunky, and the model builds up the same. No teeny parts to break on the sprue, or while handling the model.

The decals are excellent with a little Microsol, and you’ll have a lot of imaginative extras for your spares box (skulls and the like).

Surface detail is nicely overstated, and responds beautifully to all your favourite weathering techniques (chipping, washes, dry-brushing, etc.).

You have freedom to paint and decorate it as you please, and no one will tell you you’re wrong (except some true Warhammer aficionados, I guess).

This was built OOB with the following exceptions: muzzle brakes made from aluminium tubing, episcopes made of mylar with guards made from an aluminium pie pan, shiny wrapping paper for the window interior, and an exhaust stack made from a bendy-straw from a juice box.

I’m really glad I tried this, and I’d recommend this or similar kits to anyone, especially if you’re feeling bogged down and unmotivated with other projects and are looking for a quick, fun build to renew your enthusiasm for the hobby! This is also a nice way to practice techniques which you wouldn’t want to risk on a more prestige-y project.

Have a great day, and stay safe!

Dazzled
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine Razorback

Post by Dazzled »

That look brilliant and thanks for the write up. Looks like it might well be an ideal mojo enhancer 8-)

How big/what scale is the finished model?
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That is an excellently painted and weathered Razorback.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

Brilliant! I really like that (darn it :-D), may need to investigate further.... :roll:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

U agree with everything Canuck said, I have one built up, enjoyed it immensely, definitely want more.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

That looks amazing. I love the wear and weathering on that.

David
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Can't fault that. The 40 galaxy is big and stretched out, so there could be one of these marked and painted like this somewhere, no one in 40K galaxy can check everywhere!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Fantastic weathering.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thank you, all! Great to get the replies, and nice to hear that some other people have enjoyed these kits as well.

Dazzled, I don't know what scale it is, but I'd guess it's around 1:48. The vehicle itself is 12 cm long, and if you include the hedgerow cutter (?) on the front, then it's around 13.5 cm long. BTW, I like your term "mojo enhancer", as that's exactly what this was for me! :)
Kitaholic

Post by Kitaholic »

Liking this a lot. Big fan of 40K kits and this is the first one I've seen that looks properly used. Great work
Regards

Gord

Desperately trying to find his MOJO, don't know where I left it
Marek

Post by Marek »

Smashing work! I know it is not M113 but fits well within my 'battlespace imagination'.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Canuck2016 wrote:Thank you, all! Great to get the replies, and nice to hear that some other people have enjoyed these kits as well.

Dazzled, I don't know what scale it is, but I'd guess it's around 1:48. The vehicle itself is 12 cm long, and if you include the hedgerow cutter (?) on the front, then it's around 13.5 cm long. BTW, I like your term "mojo enhancer", as that's exactly what this was for me! :)
Scale is something they've never worried about TOO strongly in 40k stuff. The Rhino this is based on is meant to take ten of the space marine warriors, when it probably couldn't get half that in physically!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-ifs Gallery”