Masking fluid recommendations?

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
VickersVandal
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Masking fluid recommendations?

Post by VickersVandal »

Hi all,

I am after a good general-purpose masking fluid, though canopies are the main thing I use it for. I used to use Humbrol Maskol and that was OK but not fantastic. I then bought the Gunze product but after a few uses I swore to myself that I would never use it again. Awful stuff and impossible to remove completely. Nearly ruined two models because of it.

I don't necessarily want to buy every one available as the rate at which I use it is very low and they would just end up going hard in the bottle, which is a waste. I was wondering if anyone particularly recommended one? The three options I am looking at are Vallejo, Motolow or Microscale because those are what my preferred seller stocks, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

VV.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
Early Bird Fan

Re: Masking fluid recommendations?

Post by Early Bird Fan »

i used mr masking sol neo for the first time yesterday, so far i'm happy with it. It's like a latex so when it's dry you can just roll it and it will peel off nicely. It's the only masking fluid i've used though so can't compare it to anything
Current Builds:
Revell 1/48 S.e.5a
Revell 1/72 P-47 'bolt
Frog 1/72 Bleriot X1
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Picked this up at a RIOT art & craft store. Latex masking fluid 250ml for $20 during a 50% off sale. I used it on my last build and it worked fine. Just rolled off when I'd finished the painting.

Nigel
dayzofspeed
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by dayzofspeed »

question in general...will any fluid be as sharp edged as tape. I'm asking as I have never used any brand of masking fluid as I thought it might not be great on canopies
I stared a century thinking this will never change
As I hesitated, time rushed onwards without me
Too scared to break the spell, too small to take a fall
But the absolute luck is, love is in our hearts!

Lyrics By P. Weller
Early Bird Fan

Post by Early Bird Fan »

dayzofspeed wrote:question in general...will any fluid be as sharp edged as tape. I'm asking as I have never used any brand of masking fluid as I thought it might not be great on canopies
i'm about to use my masking fluid to apply a mask to a canopy so i'll post a pic once it's dried
Current Builds:
Revell 1/48 S.e.5a
Revell 1/72 P-47 'bolt
Frog 1/72 Bleriot X1

Return to “Construction Tips”