decal shrivelled up?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Markh_75
Modelling Gent and Scholar

decal shrivelled up?

Post by Markh_75 »

:???: I was preparing the H-75-A3 in French colours and markings this afternoon, did all of the decals on this model in the end, and they were ALL fine, stuck down well and thus varnished over when they were dry enough (a good couple of hours later - gotta give 'em a chance!). The only problem i had was the ones on the rudder! They went on okay, separated from the backing nicely but after a few mins had curled itself up on both sides. So strange this should happen to the same ones on a kit yet the rest are perfick!?

Its an old Heller kit in 1/72 and i'm wondering if its just a random thing to happen adding to the fact that they were old (but sound enough) decals?
They're on satin varnish as the paint finish is matt, plenty of time for the varnish to dry; i use Micro Industries Micro Satin, gloss and flat (but not all at the same time!) as its water based and doesnt go yellow. As far as i know i've done everything correctly, so it must be just old decals.

I do hope it doesnt happen tomorrow as i'm applying 'the many' decals to my Privateer; i already had a disaster with decals on that too, a few weeks back. Same thing happened with the nose art for it. Its an old Matchbox kit so i wonder again if its just old decals? I've got that all painted and ready for tomorrow! I struggled to find any decals for that to replace what was ruined; i ended up just buying another but the Revell kit this time, i'm using these decals and eventually i'll build this one and put on aftermarket decals on it. Maybe when i buy an older kit i should just order aftermarket ones there and then?

Just a bit concerned that its happened to two models in a row now. I've ordered some aftermarket decals for it but i hope this doesnt happen again; funny how something like this can knock your confidence. I felt like smashing the thing but saner and more positive thoughts prevailed; spent all that time building and painting it, so it wasnt getting 'squashed'! I take my time on my models; if i dont feel like doing anything model-wise i just dont, after all its a hobby not a production line or a race! :roll:
Twas Blollig and the Shalomey Touves didst gear and grumble in the wardrobe!
fredk

Re: decal shrivelled up?

Post by fredk »

I had this happen with ESCI and Almark decals.
I used Klear/Future/Astonish 'floor polish' acrylic varnish to stick them down.
I brushed the varnish under the decal then used a varnish-wet brush to just keep pressing the decal down until the varnish started to dry - just a couple of minutes.
Once the varnish started to dry it grabbed the decal and held it onto the model
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Markh_75

Re: decal shrivelled up?

Post by Markh_75 »

Thanks for your reply,I tried that (holding them down), but after i let it go it curled up even worse! Doesnt matter now; bought some aftermarket replacements for it. Moving onto using the Micro-set and Micro-sol (got it on order) because the Humbrol decalcote tends to go all sticky, otherwise its fine but i want to try the Micro-Industries stuff after a few recommended that i give it a whirl. I use their Micro flat, satin and gloss varnish and its good stuff.
Twas Blollig and the Shalomey Touves didst gear and grumble in the wardrobe!

Return to “Finishing Tips”