IPMS Scale ModelWorld Telford - November 2020

Please place details here of any events you may think are of interest.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: IPMS Scale ModelWorld Telford - November 2020

Post by beany »

JamesPerrin wrote:I would say use the money you save by not attending to support your society by continuing your membership if you can so that there is a SMW 2021.
Any money "saved" will probably go towards paying my mortgage for now, however I've got an unstarted WNW Bristol F.2b Fighter that I bought at Telford a year or so ago that I may sell on eBay to fund my membership.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Sorry Al. I was speaking in general. You’ve got additional burdens that you need to attend to.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I haven't been to SMW for around three years but I continue with my IPMS membership as I'm in it for more than just free entry into the show, although that is a welcome bonus and I enjoy the magazine, which often features builds that interest me. Personally I think IPMS is a great voice for the hobby and SMW is a great showcase and would say that if you can afford the expense of keeping up your membership, although attending SMW might be out of the question this year, it would be great if you did so.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by chrism »

Whilst we still wait for the IPMS to make an announcement next week ... the scope for a local lockdown is gaining momentum in Telford. (like it is in a number of other towns, as the "R" rate continues to rise).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-53820711;

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/loc ... rd-wrekin/;
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

I've just seen this, thought I'd share:
https://ipmsuk.org/scale-modelworld/can ... orld-2020/;
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

IronMan129 wrote:I've just seen this, thought I'd share:
https://ipmsuk.org/scale-modelworld/can ... ld-2020-2/;
Shame - I'd better cancel my hotel reservation in the morning then. I wonder if they are taking bookings for 2021 yet?! :ha:
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

The full text:

"It is with a great deal of regret that IPMS (UK) has to announce that Scale ModelWorld 2020 has been cancelled.

The level of uncertainty regarding the long term impact of Covid 19 means that despite our best efforts, it will not be possible to hold the event as scheduled on 7th and 8th November 2020. This will be the first time we have had to cancel our annual IPMS (UK) national show since our inaugural 'National Championships' took place in 1967. The decision has been a tough one to make but it is clearly the right one in these circumstances.

Over the past four months IPMS (UK) has considered several different formats in order to allow us to host Scale ModelWorld in some form. We have engaged with the traders who were planning to attend Scale ModelWorld as well as our extensive Branch and Special Interest Group network to seek their views on a number of aspects relating to the show. We would like to thank both the traders and our Branch and SIG Leaders for all the constructive and positive feedback we have received.

We have also continued to maintain contact with the Southwater Event Group, the company that operates The International Centre in Telford where Scale ModelWorld has been held since 1998. IPMS (UK) and the Southwater Event Group have a close working relationship, developed over the last two decades and this has allowed us to explore a range of options. Unfortunately, The rapidly changing Covid-19 situation in the United Kingdom during late July and early August has made it abundantly clear that despite our best efforts, neither party can offer any confidence that it will be possible to hold Scale ModelWorld in any form this year.

We are therefore extremely grateful to the Southwater Event Group for offering us the opportunity to cancel this year's show with no financial penalty. At the same time, we are renewing our relationship to cover the next three years and are rolling over our deposit payment from 2020 towards that end.

If you wish to know more please see our Frequently Asked Questions web page at
https://ipmsuk.org/scale-modelworld-202 ... ions-faqs/;

Finally, the Executive Committee would like to express their thanks and appreciation for the level of confidence and support expressed to us by so many members of IPMS (UK) and the wider modelling community in these difficult times. We are sorry that we will have to disappoint everyone who was looking forward to attending Scale ModelWorld 2020 but also reassured that you appreciate the work we have undertaken to try and make it happen.

We look forward to seeing everyone again on 13th and 14th November 2021.

The IPMS (UK) Executive Committee"
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

A shame, but fully understandable. I am glad to see there's no financial penalty - I believe that was a major sticking point in coming to a decision.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Pity, but only to be expected.
See you all next year.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Absolutely the right decision.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Indeed that is the correct decision in the circumstances. All being well the show will be back in 2021.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Totally the right thing to do in the circumstances. I hope that anyone who has already booked accommodation will be able to get a refund without problem
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
chrism

Post by chrism »

I was able to transfer booking straight over to 2021 but I had booked at a price that included ability to cancel upto 48 hrs before event at no penalty.

From comments on some forums it seems that those who went through these cheaper room booking sites have got penalties to bear.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits

Return to “Model Shows and Events”