Airfix Sherman Firefly Vc 1/72 A02341

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix Sherman Firefly Vc 1/72 A02341

Post by iggie »

Fresh from the presses, this is the recently released Airfix new tool Sherman, in the gentleman's scale no less :grin:
One of the first things that struck me on receiving the kit was the weight of plastic contained in the box!
There are four sprue frames, three full size and one smaller frame, all in a nice olive drab colour (cue assembly with no painting :-D) with no apparent flash on any of the parts.
Airfix have clearly been influenced by Armourfast and The Plastic Soldier Company, and have included two track options; firstly a simple one piece track and wheel part or second, a link and length set of track parts plus separate road wheels and suspension parts.
Otherwise, there are no surprises but the parts all look to be well moulded and have nice detailing.
Two schemes are included, with full colour painting guide and decals for two Fireflies involved in the Normandy campaign.
All in all, a very nice looking kit at a reasonable price that should appeal to modellers and war-gamers alike :)

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Airfix Sherman Firefly Vc 1/72 A02341

Post by JamesPerrin »

Interesting, I’d thought Airfix were going to release it in two versions using the different track options.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice! I can see me getting one of these!

Now they can also retire the tired old original Sherman from their range, and use this one with new parts for a standard M4.

Thanks for sharing, Jim!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
chrism

Post by chrism »

This is the advanced build and it has both types of track - quick style with it as a lump assembled to clip on, or link and length for those who want a more advanced build, sadly though all hatches are moulded closed, and there appear to be a number of other shortcomings coming to light among armour builders. There are a number of people already busy mating other parts from Heller kits onto this to try and improve it. The hull MG gun is an area of discussion likewise the profile on the transmission housing.

If you look at the sprockets and idlers they have moulded part of the edge of the track to those pieces to apparently make it easier to get the l&l track round.

All told, scale size wise, it is good, and the engine deck looks good.

There is plenty of scope though for the AM guys and the scratch builders and cross kitters
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

As mentioned. The only glaring error on this one is the Firefly didn't have the forward firing MG. the space was used to store more ammo for the bigger gun so they got rid of the gun and had one less crew member.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

chrism wrote: The hull MG gun is an area of discussion likewise the profile on the transmission housing.

If you look at the sprockets and idlers they have moulded part of the edge of the track to those pieces to apparently make it easier to get the l&l track round.
Had to look twice (thrice) to catch the idlers/sprockets - neither fish nor fowl .... Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the IB, Jim !
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Wot? No 'orrible non-stick vinyl tracks?

David
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Not a huge fan of Shermans but I make an exception for the Firefly. Time to nose around locally and see if I can find one.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I need one of them so I can build it and use the spare set of track to improve my old Airfix Sherman :ha: :ha: :ha:
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Splash,
1/76 (old Sherman), 1/72 (new Sherman), not much difference but enough to foil that plan - perhaps?
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

TeeELL wrote:Splash,
1/76 (old Sherman), 1/72 (new Sherman), not much difference but enough to foil that plan - perhaps?
Dhooooo anther good plan foiled by Airfix changing it scale again. :twisted:
chrism

Post by chrism »

splash wrote:
TeeELL wrote:Splash,
Dhooooo anther good plan foiled by Airfix changing it scale again. :twisted:
Also - as I mentioned earlier in the thread - they have entertained a "novel" approach with the l&l tracks in that part of the track and it is a small part - is attached to both idler and sprocket which is inturn can put a spanner where it ain't wanted for anyone doing conversions etc
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I definitely think the kit has potential so I will get one.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

I will be getting one of these. Love the optional tracks. I can see a lot of wargamers liking this easy solution, too.
So many models, so little time.
fireblade
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by fireblade »

I did a review elsewhere, here's some analysis;

1. The main parts are nicely moulded, I especially like the look of the upper hull and turret.

2. The simplified running gear looks good and will be a real boon to those in a hurry or who can't be bothered with building up separate components.

3. I'm less keen on the built up VVSS, the return rollers and sliders will require careful cleaning up, these could have been separate parts rather than moulded to the main body of the VVSS.

4. The hull is provided with lifting eyes, but these are missing from the turret.

5. The curved flange around the gearbox housing is missing rivet detail.

6. The box art shows a hull mounted MG, these were not fitted to Fireflies, the guns were deleted and the space used for ammo stowage. The kit provides a blanking plate for the MG, yet step 43 invokes you to fit the gun, whilst step 44 shows the blanking plate!

7. The link and length tracks are a first for Airfix in-house design and they approached it in a slightly novel way. Instead of separate links to go around the sprockets and idlers, part of the track is moulded on, they are then individually fitted with curved elements, which is rather neat.

8. At the very start of the instruction steps you are invited to choose either the one piece running gear or the built up assembly. You should note that the one piece parts feature block treads, whilst the built up has chevron cleats. I've only seen pictures of Fireflies with chevron cleated tracks.

9. The kit supplies headlights, but not the cage guards that fit around them.

10. You get a separately moulded shovel, but other tools are moulded onto the hull. A neat touch is the supplied tracks and wheels to use as applique armour and the items for stowage.

11. Some might be disappointed that the flat slab applique armour is not supplied, as this is seen on some Fireflies (also on the turret), but it's really not difficult to fabricate from styrene sheet.
Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
You can't turn back the clock,
You can't turn back the tide,
Ain't that a shame

Return to “In-Box reviews”