Airfix 1/35th Cromwell Mk.IV New Tool A1373

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/35th Cromwell Mk.IV New Tool A1373

Post by iggie »

I have a feeling that this kit represents the first 1/35th tooling of an AFV from Airfix (in probably going to be proved wrong now :-D) although I do recall some plastic vehicles that were ready made that included a Scorpion and a Bedford lorry...
Anyway, on to the kit. The box art depicts a Cromwell in action in winter and looks suitably dramatic as you'd expect from Adam Tooby. The box is the usual top opening type used for Airfix' larger kits, with a glossy lid and sturdy bottom tray.
Inside the box there is the instruction booklet, a small decal sheet, a small fret of PE, one set of poly-caps, a set of vinyl tracks and nine sprues of styrene parts (2 on a very dark grey, the rest in a tan coloured plastic).
The instructions at first glance seem to be the usual Airfix produced fare, but the illustrations are slightly different from recent instruction manuals and are also printed in grey-scale only rather than the customary grey with red & green aspects. This might just be indicative that the illustrations are directly taken from CAD designs, or that they've been subcontracted along with the moulding...
Irrespective of this, the illustrations appear clear enough and show whatever options are available as you go along. The options mainly concern having hatches open (there is no interior whatsoever) and turret stowage depending on the choice of the two provided schemes you decide upon. The other significant option concerns the tracks, for which you can choose between the vinyl one-piece type, or styrene link-and-length parts. Both look to be nicely detailed, and will take washes and mud nicely.
The PE provides a grill for the exhaust and some thin strips to add to the hull.
The decals look fine, I suspect from the oriental script on the reverse that they are not Italian (or European in general) in origin, but they look fine to me and provide unit insignia and vehicle 'registration' numbers.
The rest of the box is taken up with the plastic parts, all of which are nicely moulded without a hint of flash to be seen. Ejector pin marks look to all be on internal or hidden surfaces so should not be a problem. Interestingly, Airfix have chosen to go for multi-part assemblies for both the hull and turret rather than one-piece units, possibly for tooling cost savings but I quite like the idea except that ensuring that all the parts are square might be tricky.

Overall, a good looking kit for the money and I'm sure it will look great assembled. Does it need an interior, or a crew? Certainly costs would go up significantly if both were provided, but given that tank hatches are generally fairly constricted then the lack of an interior is no great loss to me. There are plenty of suppliers for crew figures, who have done the hard work of getting the sculpting done, and of course have factored in the associated costs so I see little point in Airfix duplicating the work and costs involved and making the kit more expensive...
Review sample courtesy of my wallet (and selling a couple of other kits :-D), and supplied by the good folks at Tiger Hobbies :grin:

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Airfix 1/35th Cromwell Mk.IV New Tool A1373

Post by Stuart »

Although I'm unlikely to buy it, personally I think getting into 1/35 was a good move by Airfix - especially with their own grown kits. Apparently their 1/48 'Operation Telic' kits were quite nice, so I suspect this'll go together well.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Thanks, Jim. It certainly looks nice. I guess until one of us starts building it, we won't know about the "new-tool tolerance" gremlin which has adversely effected many of the aircraft - of course as just a big hunk of iron, that may not be so critical :)
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
chrism

Post by chrism »

It has the Academy look to it, which of course it is, as they have done the legwork for Airfix. Even the bag with decals is their style.
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Hmmm, interesting- that possibility hadn’t occurred to me.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
chrism

Post by chrism »

It has been openly admitted, about a link in for a collaboration
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers for the excellent review, that does look tempting :-D

Regards Alan
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Thank you for the review, Jim. It looks like a nice kit.
No big surprise with the collaboration with Academy, with regards to the mouldings.
I think the only other 1/35 Cromwell on the market is the Tamiya one, so it's good to see Airfix going for that gap in the market and not bringing out
another Panther/Tiger/Sherman.
On The Bench
Takom 1/35 M247 Sgt. York.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks for putting up this great review, Jim. There is definitely an Academy involvement and I thought at least some of the kits in the 1/35th line up that were announced by Airfix were straightforward Academy re-pops - it's not the first time as I recall Airfix replaced their original Bit O' Lace B-17G with the Academy kit in later boxings. Back in the 70's Airfix did release a small number of 1/35th military vehicles but those were re-pops of kits originally made by a company called Max.

Whatever its provenance and IMHO Academy are decent kits, this Cromwell looks to be excellent and is indeed a welcome alternative to the Tamiya offering in the scale.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “In-Box reviews”