Airfix 1/144 Concorde Prototype (Vintage Classics series)

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Airfix 1/144 Concorde Prototype (Vintage Classics series)

Post by Tarkas »

Been waiting on this one for a while -- since before the pandemic, IIRC -- so it was nice to have it appear today. Haven't taken any photos yet, but first impressions are both familiar and good (I had one of these when it was first released; first airliner kit I ever built).

The kit itself doesn't look to have changed, with the possible omission of one part that I can't find or find reference to in the instructions... No, no, it's there after all, but I won't be using it (more on this later). The plastic is the usual light blue-grey stuff that always reminds me of what a lot of FROG kits used to be moulded in; the original kit came in the then-standard gloss white plastic. Moulding looks good, with no obvious flash and nice clean parts. Surface detail is very fine, albeit with raised lines, but that was the way things were done back then. Frankly, having seen production Concordes up close, I doubt any detail that is lost during assembly will be noticeable.

Assembly looks familiar, as might be expected from a kit I've seen before, and IIRC, the fit was very good, so I'm not expecting trouble there.

The instructions are modern Airfix style, and so are an improvement on the originals -- though not much because the originals were pretty good! The sole paint scheme, for G-BOAC in the Golden Speedbird livery, is well illustrated but differs from the original one in that the wings, nacelles and underside of the rear fuselage are gloss white (like the real Concordes in some of their schemes) rather than silver as they were in the original kit. I was kinda disappointed that they didn't give us the option of G-BSST's red-white-and-blue scheme, particularly since it would be historically accurate. Maybe some aftermarket decal supplier will fill the gap. I hope so; I'd probably buy a second kit if they did, to go with my Nitto 1/132 Tu-144 prototype.

The decals are the big difference; not so much in terms of what they depict, but as something that will be so much easier to use. I don't know who printed them -- they could well be from Cartograph -- but they look to be of high quality. What makes them different is that they include windows! Now, for those who have never made an Airfix airliner kit of 60s vintage, they were notorious for how the company handled the windows and the livery in general, and the cheatlines in particular. You were supposed to paint the fuselage and apply the cheatline decals before assembling it, without putting in the windows, and then you used the infamous window punch (the part mentioned above) to punch out the window holes (praying all the time that you didn't tear the decal) before attaching the windows from inside and gluing the fuselage halves together. How you were supposed to deal with the fuselage seams, not to mention BOAC's large cheatline around the nose, they never said. Luckily, this is not a problem for this re-issue. The clear windows are a bit superfluous since they will be covered by the cheatline and the window decals, but they were there in the original and, like the punch, are there in the kit. Authenticity, I suppose you'd call it... :mrgreen:

Anyway, it looks like a good kit, as it was way back when, and I rather look forward to making it -- and another one if some enterprising decal manufacturer comes up with a good set of markings for 001 and 002. I hope they will.

Photos of the kit will hopefully be forthcoming in the not-too-distant future.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: Airfix 1/144 Concorde Prototype (Vintage Classics series)

Post by Stuart »

Looking forward to seeing the photos!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Have you looked at Draw Decals for G-BSST ? https://www.drawdecal.com/ and look under aircraft for Concorde.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Hadn't heard of them, John, so thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, they only seems to have decals for the last BA scheme and a detail sheet -- door outlines, wing lines, windows, etc. -- in multiple scales. If they ever did G-BSST, the sheet(s) seem to be OOP. I suppose they might think about expanding their range now that the kit is available again. I might enquire.

Photos hopefully coming in the next few days.
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Won’t hurt to ask, although IIRC, they stopped doing custom work. Actually “they” is really just “he”, Greg Drawbaugh, these days and that may have had something to do with it.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DavidWomby »

F-DCAL do decals for both F-WTSS and G-BSST. TwoSix Decals says he plans to issue some too.

David
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

BTW, you may already have seen it, or may not be interested, but I am building an original issue (white plastic/Air France decals) as one of the prototypes here: https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=446 ... 3&start=45.

David
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Nice to know about F-DCAL and TwoSix. I contacted Greg and he was both quick and polite in his response -- but not encouraging as to the likelihood of anything happening. But he was honest and agreed to think about it, and that's as much as you can really expect. ANd thanks for the heads-up about your model, David. I'll be sure to give it a look and take notes. :mrgreen:

Meantime, here's the promised photos. First, the box -- a combination of the original painting (slightly modified in terms of wing colour, I think) and the standard modern Airfix red box. Looks good.

And the instruction sheet. Standard Airfix fare, and not exactly complicated. This kit doesn't have a lot of parts, so the assembly instructions only run to 2 pages. First, the front page:

And then the assembly. Note that the art, particularly stage 1, assumes the old method of painting and decaling the fuselage: :roll:

Finally for the instructions, the paint scheme. She does look nice in BOAC colours, and even nicer with the white wings, etc.

Now, the decals. They look good, but I'm very glad I can apply them after assembly and painting. Those huge nose areas are going to be, shall we say, interesting to apply... Also not quite sure how the two lots of windows go together, but I haven't looked properly at the markings guide.

At last, the parts... This is what they look like in the sealed bag:

Out of the bag, we have the fuselage halves:

The wings and engine nacelles:

The two sprues of miscellaneous parts. There's one wheel missing, but it's in the bag. Since I build my models with their gear up, it's not a problem. Also note the infamous window punch located at bottom centre. There was supposed to be a red arrow pointing it out, but it seems to have vanished. :roll:

And finally, the clear sprue in its own bag. Basically, it's all the cabin windows and two eyelid cockpit windows. This is an inaccuracy in the kit presumably resulting from working from early drawings rather than actual hardware: the kit depicts the early solid nose with no forward vision, but every picture I've seen of the prototypes shows that they do in fact have a forward-facing transparency in the nose. I don't know how much forward vision it would give, but I suppose the idea was that you didn't need much except during take-off and landing when the droop-snoot was down.

So there she is. As you can see, there's a bit more flash than I first thought, but that was looking at everything in the bag. It's hardly heavy and should be very quick to remove. There are some prominent injection gates and the like on some parts (like the other side of the main gear doors) and a few sink marks here and there, but again nothing that will be hard to fix.

Overall, it's a nice re-issue of a kit that was very popular when it first came out, and looks great in its intended markings. It's of its original era, but with a little work -- apart from the nose, I don't know what its overall accuracy is like, though I am wary of how well Airfix captured the conical camber of those beautiful ogival delta wings -- it could make into a very nice model of an historic aircraft. There's room for an enterprising aftermarket company to produce a more accurate nose -- which, oddly, is what is depicted in the box painting! It's hard to make out, but I think there is a representation of the cockpit windows there -- just not on the kit. Go figure...

It's not particularly expensive, so I am sorely tempted to get another one and make both "G-BOAC" and G-BSST.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

The real thing would have looked great in that classic livery.

David

Return to “In-Box reviews”