RAF Chelveston 1944

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
Ratch
Modelling Gent and Scholar

RAF Chelveston 1944

Post by Ratch »

The Boeing 299, the Flying Fortress prototype, first flew on 28 July 1935. It was America’s main strategic weapon of WWII. 12,731 B-17’s were built, of which the B-17G reached 8680. 42-38206 “Thundermug”, was issued to the 364th Bomb Squadron, 305th Bombardment Group, RAF Chelveston, on 1 March 1944. It flew many missions until 12 December 1944, when it was battle damaged over Mersberg. It force landed in Allied occupied territory and was scrapped.

Issued on 17 May 1944. ‘Flak Eater’ also of the 364th Bombardment Squadron, saw much action as WF-J but sustained battle damage on 12 September 1944 and following repair was recoded WF-U. On 4 December 44-6009 failed to return to Chelveston following another raid on Germany, following an emergency landing on a newly created continental airstrip. Repaired once again, the aircraft survived the war, carrying out in excess of 28 missions. It was transferred to the 351st BG on 23 May 1945, before returning to the USA in June. She was scrapped at Kingman the following December.

All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: RAF Chelveston 1944

Post by PaulBradley »

Nice! Love the pilot with his feet up!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Thanks Paul, I've had him a long time - maybe a CMK figure :roll:
Airfix Tribute Forum
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Some nice pics amongst those Ratch. Nice models too.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I enjoyed watching your build of Thundermug, Ratch and it looks good teamed up with the well known Flak Eater in this great diorama. What kit was used to make the Eater? another Airfix New Tool?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Hi Shaun, Flak Eater is from the Academy kit that Airfix issued after A Bit O Lace wore out. I built it a few years ago now. I was happy with it at the time, but placed next to the new tool Airfix it looks agricultural :lol:
Airfix Tribute Forum
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Ratch wrote: August 15th, 2021, 10:55 pm Hi Shaun, Flak Eater is from the Academy kit that Airfix issued after A Bit O Lace wore out. I built it a few years ago now. I was happy with it at the time, but placed next to the new tool Airfix it looks agricultural :lol:
Cheers, Ratch and I have the Academy B-17G in the stash myself. I built the original tooling Airfix B-17G A Bit O' Lace as a lad back in the 70's and it is really good to see them back with a great kit of this iconic bomber.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Figures and Diorama”