Varnish?

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Gibson67
Series 3 and Beyond

Varnish?

Post by Gibson67 »

Hi all

Looking for a little guidance folks! I’ve yet to start my 1st ever build, which will be the Airfix 1.72 Spitfire starter kit. I’ve lots of goodies arriving this week, so until they arrive I’m in limbo.

My questions are as follows, as a complete novice should I stray away from attempting to weather the build? I’ve not got any products to do this, so it’s it’s something that I could have a go at doing what would be a good place to start regarding such a product? Or as it’s a 1st build should I just build it using just the paints provided.

Second question once painted should I varnish it prior to adding the decals? I’m planning on brush painting so a product that can be applied with a brush would be required, a recommendation for such a varnish would be appreciated.

If I do go down the weathering route, am I correct in thinking this is done after the build is varnished? Or prior.

Many thanks

Nige
Impisi
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Varnish?

Post by Impisi »

Ah well, this thing about weathering, well that’s more something want to do or not.

Let me start this way:
once the model is built you normally paint it as defined, then you give it a shiny clear coat before decals to prevent the silvering effect (air under the decal film) - if the paint is all shiney you can skip that. After that you give that a semi flat or flat varnish, this depends on whether you want to weather or not. If you want to weather take a semi flat varnish first. After weathering you then seal it all with a flat varnish. For a first build I would decide this after having built, paint, decaled and sealed it. For a first weathering of a plane, I would suggest a panel line wash, which you would do after decals and after a decal sealing. For a wash it is not that important whether your decal sealing is semi flat or flat.

as Varnishes you can use any type you find online. If you first paints are enamel, I would use an acrylic varnish because no risk that the thinner of the varnish attacks the paint. I can’t name you a varnish for brushing, to be honest, as varnishes I always only do airbrush.

as a wash I also would just use what is offered, there are several products out there. But a wash you also can make of a very diluted paint (dark brown i.e.) - if you think it's thin enough, thin it more - less is more and you can always do several coats.
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
iggie

Post by iggie »

A gloss coat before decals is usually a good idea, to help give the decals a smooth surface to settle onto and prevent silvering. This can then be followed by a further varnish; matt, satin or gloss according to the finish required.
My advice regarding weathering would be to have a few goes at building kits and painting them to a good standard first before trying for a worn look. When you do try weathering, experiment and see what works for you rather than trying to copy something/someone you've seen online or in a magazine. Look at photos of the real thing (or the real thing itself if possible) and see how much or how little dirt/mud/dust/rust etc. is really visible. In most cases, there's a lot less in real life than in your imagination! Above all, practice makes perfect better
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gibson67
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Gibson67 »

Thanks guys, that’s helped me out a lot. I’m looking at both a gloss prior to applying decals, followed by a flat or semi flat final coat then, Regarding weathering I think I’ll simply paint my 1st few builds, concentrating on acquiring that skill first.

I’m assuming the paints supplied with the Airfix starter kits are acrylic based?
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

For varnish, a lot of people, including me, use Pledge floor wax (or whatever it's called in Britain these days), which is an acrylic-based product useful for many things in modelling. Buying that will save you big bucks on varnish costs. Simply brush on before decalling for a good gloss coat. It can also be used as a decal fixer - just add a small amount onto the surface just before you place the decal and it will help draw the decal down onto the surface, eliminating the dreaded silvering.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
Impisi

Post by Impisi »

Gibson67 wrote: November 16th, 2021, 3:33 pm I’m assuming the paints supplied with the Airfix starter kits are acrylic based?
yes, I think so, well at least that's what I found online "Humbrol Acrylics"
Cheers
Martin

my recent builds
iggie

Post by iggie »

Impisi wrote: November 16th, 2021, 4:20 pm
Gibson67 wrote: November 16th, 2021, 3:33 pm I’m assuming the paints supplied with the Airfix starter kits are acrylic based?
yes, I think so, well at least that's what I found online "Humbrol Acrylics"
Yep, they are acrylic but will need a very good stir before use!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
fredk

Post by fredk »

In the UK, look for 'Astonish Wood Floor Polish'
Its not a polish but a water-thin acrylic varnish. Its a milky white and smells of tangerine and cinnamon.
It dries perfectly clear and the smell soon goes (awww)
You can get it in Home Bargains for about £1 for a 750ml bottle. That will last you ages
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.

Return to “Finishing Tips”