Sorry guys! Another question.

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Gibson67
Series 3 and Beyond

Sorry guys! Another question.

Post by Gibson67 »

Hi all

After my post yesterday regarding varnish, I forgot to ask probably a dumb question! Excuse my ignorance, but when varnishing the build, where exactly should I be applying in?

Is it a case of covering the whole of the build? Or should propeller, landing gear etc be left unvarnished. Do you only do the wings, fuselage, tail/rudder etc?

Nige
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Sorry guys! Another question.

Post by PaulBradley »

Before decalling, I always varnish the whole airframe - wings, fuselage, tail unit - anywhere decals will go.

Post-decalling, I will varnish the whole model to protect both decals and paintwork.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

As Paul says; gloss all over, decal, varnish again to suit requirements (gloss to canopies/glazing, matt to fuselage and wings for example)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PTB11
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by PTB11 »

I varnish the complete kit, which helps when applying a wash after the decals are added. Then as Jim says, finally a coat of flat / satin / gloss as required.
On The Bench
Takom 1/35 M247 Sgt. York.

Return to “Finishing Tips”