Isopropyl for thinning paint

Hints here for painting, decalling, weathering and displaying your finished models.
Gibson67
Series 3 and Beyond

Isopropyl for thinning paint

Post by Gibson67 »

Hi all

About to start my 1st build, an Airfix starter kit including acrylic paints. I’m planning on brush painting, but have read that the supplied paints are pretty thick. I can source some isopropyl mixed at 70/30, could this be used perhaps for thinning the paints? If so would it benefit from been further diluted, given that it’s 70% isopropyl?

Thanks in advance,

Nige
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Isopropyl for thinning paint

Post by DavidWomby »

Check but I think Airfix must be using Humbrol paint. If so, you may need to thin it with water. Some acrylics are thinned with water and some (e.g. Tamiya) need IPA. Each type tends to react badly to the wrong thinner.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Simplest thing is to just test it. Use an old/cheap brush and use something as a test subject, the worse that will happen is the paint will turn to sludge or refuse to dry.

For Humbrol Acrylics it's generally recommend to use water to thin.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Gibson67
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Gibson67 »

Thanks for the advice guy’s, I think I’ll go down the just using water to thin approach.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

Gibson67 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 5:51 pm Thanks for the advice guy’s, I think I’ll go down the just using water to thin approach.
That's best with freebie paints but then also be aware that water (i.e. thinned paint) and plastic don't mix well and you may struggle to get a first coat on. I basically stopped getting annoyed when the paints "pooled" in certain area, just let it dry and then keep applying thin coats until you have the coverage you are happy with. The good thing is that they do dry quickly so you could probably get 3 or 4 coats on in a day. This was my 24 Hour Blitzbau of the ALDI £4.99 Hurricane using the supplied paints for the main three colours. I found the best method was to almost dry brush the coats on.

Let us know how you get on with yours.
Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by TeeELL »

Have you considered Humbrol thinners for their acrylic paints? To be honest, I tend to go for ‘home brand’ thinners on the principle that they are designed for the job. A rattle can of acrylic primer from a car accessory shop (especially the variety designed for plastic) would help with the adhesion?

The following was posted by James Perrin, on here, and might be of use:

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=443

I was also wondering if a really tiny drop of washing up liquid might break the surface tension and reduce beading???
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
fireblade
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by fireblade »

TeeELL wrote: November 27th, 2021, 2:26 pmI was also wondering if a really tiny drop of washing up liquid might break the surface tension and reduce beading???
Yes, it will.
Paul Brown
Bring me my chariot of fire
Locate and Cement
RevellAtions
You can't turn back the clock,
You can't turn back the tide,
Ain't that a shame
AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

I would recommend washing the plastic in soapy water, and then give it a rinse. That will degrease it and help the acrylic paint spread better.

Then, as Paul and Tony have recommended already, a tiny bit of detergent in the paint.
Up in the Great White North
Gibson67
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by Gibson67 »

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Before I decided to start this hobby, I watched several clips on YouTube, where I saw the parts been washed in soapy water then rinsed prior to assembly, this I was planning to do. Regarding adding a tiny bit of washing up liquid to the paint, this is something I’ve never heard of before, but I’ll do this. Great tip!

Nige

Return to “Finishing Tips”