Mach 2 1/72 Lockheed Jetstar

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
Gregers
Forum founder

Mach 2 1/72 Lockheed Jetstar

Post by Gregers »

Firstly let me say that I applaud Mach 2 for producing this one, a great looking aircraft that cried out for kitting.
This kit comes in the usual somewhat flimsy box that is the norm for Mach 2. It is adequate but only just. The parts are good and to Mach 2's usual standard for their later kits. There are a few parts short shot but these are easy to rectify. The aerials would be replaced by wire anyway and the tail fin is an ease filler job.
The decals are laser printed and will need careful cutting out.
Transparencies are not perfectly clear but far better than earlier kits from this brand.
Instructions, basic to say the least and I wouldn't like to use them if this was my first kit. On that track this, though no way a beginners kit should be build able by someone with a reasonable amount of builds behind them.
Pros.
The subject, a 100% hell yes.
Options. A few different versions and plenty of scope for subjects to choose to do.
Price, can be got for less than £25 it will not bankrupt you.

Cons.
Short shot parts.
Flimsy box.
Instructions are a 'back of an envelope' job.
All in all a great subject and a good kit considering. I know some people complain about Mach kits being rough but it is what it is. A short run kit that gives you a subject that no one else does in injection molding in this scale (Roden do it in 1/144)
The only alternatives are the Air model vacform kit or scratch building.
On with the pics.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Mach 2 1/72 Lockheed Jetstar

Post by DavidWomby »

Thanks. Not my subject matter but I am always grateful to small manufacturers who issue unusual subjects.

David
RayS

Post by RayS »

Nice review Greg, I have the USAF VIP version in the stash as well as a few other Mach2 kits.

I am yet to build any of them but am not scared to have a go. I understand there are some shape issues as well if you are worried about that.

I am glad they make these subjects others don't tackle
Ray
-----------------------
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Thanks for the replies guys. I had not heard about any shape issues but I am not overly worried but thank you for letting me know. If it looks like a Jetstar I a happy. If I manage to get it in NASA markings then I am more than happy.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Definitely a subject I've always wanted to do. Although after their Valiant and slightly better (but not much) Frelon, neither of which I finished, I'm reluctant to give Mach 2 another shot at my money!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
mattbacon
Too Cheerful To Be A JMN

Post by mattbacon »

I wonder how many of us are enthusiastic about the Jetstar thanks to Goldfinger, or the Observer's Book of Aircraft, or both?

Good luck, Greg... when even the sprue runners aren't smooth, I hate to think what the surface detail's like!

best,
M.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Are you going to build it soon?, would like to know whether it's worth getting as Hannants have one for £18 odd I think. I'd get one but as i said I've not done well with Mach 2!!. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I don't mind cutting parts off the sprues and doing test fits but I'll not be building it for a few months. I got mine from Hannants BTW. It is a good price for sure.

All the best

Greg
Albert Einstein
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Cheers for the review Greg.

I think I might give Mac2 Kits a miss, it’s a shame as they do kits other companies avoid.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks for the review Greg!
I've just gone ahead and ordered myself the Presidential "P.O.T.A.S" version of this kit.
My only real concern was with the instrument panel but I have a plan to fill outs holes and smooth them out as I want to produce a whiff Jetstar with a full glass cockpit.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Hell Yes! Love the Jetstar!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “In-Box reviews”