Eagle Transporter 1/72

From Apollo and Soyuz, to Gerry Anderson, Irwin Allen, Star Wars and Trek to Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica and those strange, doe-eyed Japanese school girls...to any model kits you can think of, that only exists in imagination.
gengriz
Active Participant

Eagle Transporter 1/72

Post by gengriz »

This was a rather nice Christmas present from MrsT and the MiL. I've been building since Boxing Day, which, by my standards, makes it a very long build!

It's the new-ish mpc 1/72 Scale kit, which first appeared in 2019. Far more compex than the previous mpc/Airfix kit (which is about 1/96 apparently), this one is 35cm long when completed (14 inches). It makes an interesting comparison with the 1/72 Millennium Falcon!

Nothing particular to report on the build - it all fits together very nicely as you would expect for what was not a cheap kit ! :grin:

and with the MF:

FredT :)
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Eagle Transporter 1/72

Post by DavidWomby »

Definitely a step up from the original Airfix. Lovely build.

I think they do a Hawk too, Fred.

David
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Super build.

Next to the MF it looks less SciFi and more real space.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent work!
It certainly does look a lot better than the older mpc offering, especially around the fore and aft fuselage framing :grin:
(And as David says, they do indeed do a Hawk. When's your birthday? :-D )
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

I like that a lot! Very nice results.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Battletweety
Active Participant

Post by Battletweety »

Wow that is a huge improvement from the original 1/72 bird. Who doesn't love a Space 1999 Eagle. Very nicely done.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

That is nice... and I do like seeing the Eagle next to the Falcon... ;-) Good work.

As regards the scale of the original MPC/Airfix kit, I have seen several figures for that. Airfix claimed 1/72 -- but then, they would, wouldn't they? :mrgreen: -- and if the Round 2 1/48 model is 22 inches long, then it's easy to see where the 1/96 figure comes from. The bookazine Modelling 1999 included articles which scaled both Airfix kits (Eagle and Hawk) at 1/87 (HO scale :ha:) -- which was also, IIRC, close to the actual scale of the supposedly-1/72 Angel Interceptor, so Airfix were being consistent. Back in those days, nobody much really went in for "studio scale", which both the Airfix Eagle and the big Round 2 one are, so they missed an opportunity there. :mrgreen:

Regardless, that is a very nice-looking model. Did you build a cockpit or are the upper "windows" simply decals? Either way, they look good.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
gengriz
Active Participant

Post by gengriz »

Thanks Tarkas. It is about the same length as the Falcon - not immediately obvious from the picture. The cabin windows are decals - same ones as on the 1/48 kit I believe, and they do match some of the screen shots. There are two options - with space suits and without. If I had one criticism of this kit, it would be that they didn't provide proper windows as the cabin is ripe for detailing - although cutting them out wouldn't be too hard and there are resin interiors available. :)
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Thanks, gengriz, that's useful to know about the decals for when I get the kit. I'll have to look for the resin cockpit; I have the ParaGraphix etched cockpit for the Round 2 1/72(?) Hawk, which I look forward to building. I'm going to use a couple of the old Airfix 1/72 Astronauts as crew -- suitably painted, of course -- as they're about as close as I can find to 1/72 Alphan crew in spacesuits. Crooked Dice do a 28mm miniature that matches the 1999 suit, but 28mm is too big for 1/72.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

A wonderful model Fred. I really do like that 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
G-Man69
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by G-Man69 »

Nice build Fred, is the medical pod detachable? It was interesting seeing it alongside the same scale MF, for some reason I imagined a much larger size difference (length-wise).

It would be interesting to see how it compares with the Sixteen 12 Eagles shape-wise? Size-wise I think your Eagle is nearly 2" longer.

Cheers,

G

Return to “Real Space, Sci-Fi and What-iffery”