AMP 1:48 Aerospatiale Gazelle.

First impressions do count. Let us know what you think of your kits - new and old.
wokka
Modelling Gent and Scholar

AMP 1:48 Aerospatiale Gazelle.

Post by wokka »

This came onto the market beginning of this year and so I just had to buy it.

It is not an overcomplicated kit and part count is not that high, about 120 IIRC

The engine, main gearbox and the wire mesh over the avionics cabinet are resin so these parts can be discarded from the sprue. The clear parts are clear but care needs to be taken putting them together, ther are just 4 main clear pieces. The kit does come with a set of masks for the clear parts. The decals are for a number of British and French aircraft plus a whiffy for the RAAF. What it doesn't have is PE and there are no seat belts.

Image.

There is space under the cabin floor to put weight in otherwise it will be a tail sitter. The cockpit is pretty well detailed with decals for the instrument panel and the seats are far more realistic than the old Heller kit.

Instructions for the kit are clear but there is not always a call out for the paints, e.g, blades, main gearbox and transmission shafts so you need to do some research. The plus side about the Gazelle is that the seats weren't all green, some were grey, the batteries were either Green, grey or black and the RAF training colours tended to fade out so don't worry about getting an exact colour match.

It's a nice kit but it can be fiddly, the instructions have you putting the skids on early in the build, these need to be left off until the fuselage has been painted. The tail fan is a very tight fit so will need fettling, it's better to get that right before the fuselage halves are joined together. The rotor blades are fiddly to fit as are the horizontal stabilisers, care needs to be taken fitting these because they attach only by a very small pin that can easily break or dissolve if too much glue is used.

Overall it is a nice kit, far better than the Heller kit and well within the capabilities of most on this Forum.

It's only pain, work through it.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: AMP 1:48 Aerospatiale Gazelle.

Post by Stuart »

wokka wrote: July 7th, 2022, 12:16 pm Image
Very nice build that and good to know it's a decent kit.

I'll have to look to see if they did the Army version with the sight on the cockpit - I've always fancied down an 80's era Gazelle and Lynx.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “In-Box reviews”