morris mini

Time to pimp them rides!
syd-baines
Modelling Gent and Scholar

morris mini

Post by syd-baines »

this is my next build it is the morris mini i am thinking of opening the doors and boot so i will have to build the inside of the boot also can anyone remember the fibreglass front end that could be bought for them back in the 70s it was a complete one piece front with the bonnet moulded on and you had to cut the wings off the car and fit the front on all in one and had to be hinged at the bottom so the whole front could open just like the triumph herald and e type jag, i want to replicate that if pos. if so i will have to do quite a bit of work in the engine bay for it to look right so it will not be a slow build and hopefully it will not end up in the bin, i have seen on youtube a build where the modeler has opened the doors and boot so i will be able to get some pointers from that i will not copy his build as i do not believe in copping some one else`s work
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: morris mini

Post by JamesPerrin »

Sounds like an interesting build. I disagree though about copying someone else’s build as that’s how we all learn and a reason why some of us post detailed builds. Even when you copy someone else’s methods you are always going to modify and adapt to suit yourself anyway. Just wanting to do it your own way is perfectly legit too.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i have cut the doors and boot out i decided not to cut the front end as i could not figure out a suitable hinge system for it so i will stick to just the doors and boot i want the bonnet to open and close but looking at the instructions and the hinges the bonnet can be displayed with it open or closed so i will have to look at making the hinges next job is to work on the door openings

AndrewR
In the basement lab

Post by AndrewR »

As a Mini owner, I'm looking forward to seeing this.😃
Up in the Great White North
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is an interesting build project, Syd. Personally I have no qualms in nicking and/or copying the ideas or methods of other modellers, which is how I've learned a lot of things modelling wise over the years. That said, though, I try not to slavishly copy but to adapt what I see to suit my own hamfisted efforts!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks Andrew and Shaun i have been working on the mini but no photos yet it is taking a lot of time but this nice weather i have not been spending much time indoors so not been at the bench much hope fully some update soon
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i made a complete mess of the build so bought another an started again got a little further on this one in will post some pics. soon
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

Cool. Love this project.
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking forward to seeing your progress Syd, I'm always happy to see a proper mini 👍
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

thanks guys i had to buy another kit as i made a complete mess of the first one but i want to build the different models of the mini ie. pickup van and any others plus a custom build so i did not mind buying another but they are hard to find now and the prices have gone through the roof, but back to this one i have built the door shuts on the body and done some work in the engine bay and the back wall of the boot i am trying to sort the door hinges out at the moment this is how far i have got

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The restart is looking good, Syd. This type of conversion work always carries the risk of spoiling the base kit but that's how we often improve as modellers. At least you've got some spares for your future Mini projects - every cloud has a silver lining and all that!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Locos and other civvie vehicles”