3D Printed parts

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
TeeELL
Modelling Gent and Scholar

3D Printed parts

Post by TeeELL »

Some of you will be aware that I am just about keeping my head above water in the world of 3D design and printing. Some of the things I have designed and printed (or had printed before I bought my own) can be seen in my ‘Workbench’ and ‘Hucks’ Starter’ threads.
Anyhow, as I have alluded to in those threads, I would be happy to create and print parts for Forum members but please remember - I am no expert but if I undertake ‘your’ request it will be done to the very best of my ability. Also, please don’t be offended if I ‘just say no’, it means that your request is either outside my skill set or outside the printer’s capabilities.
PM me for any specific information.

Oh, anything I have printed for myself is available.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Re: 3D Printed parts

Post by Stuart »

I think 3D printing might be the birth of a new modelling 'cottage industry' - that's a very generous offer Tony and well done for learning a new skill!
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Stuart wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:35 am I think 3D printing might be the birth of a new modelling 'cottage industry' - that's a very generous offer Tony and well done for learning a new skill!
Don’t get too excited! It is no use asking me to make a cockpit for a ‘Hobby-fix Spiteful Mk 19b’ - well not unless you send the .stl file! It is creating the 3D drawing that is the difficult bit so, at the very least, I would need detailed info on dimensions etc drawings, plans and so forth would be beneficial.
Tony

Current build:
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

TeeELL wrote: August 3rd, 2022, 11:53 am
Stuart wrote: August 2nd, 2022, 10:35 am I think 3D printing might be the birth of a new modelling 'cottage industry' - that's a very generous offer Tony and well done for learning a new skill!
Don’t get too excited! It is no use asking me to make a cockpit for a ‘Hobby-fix Spiteful Mk 19b’ - well not unless you send the .stl file! It is creating the 3D drawing that is the difficult bit so, at the very least, I would need detailed info on dimensions etc drawings, plans and so forth would be beneficial.
lol! No worries abut that!

I was thinking more of detail parts etc.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Well for sure, anything I have produced already can be made available - I just wonder how many people are interested in upgrading their Matchbox/Revell M7 Howitzer??
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I figure that anyone looking at this thread is likely to have visited my various threads elsewhere but, just in case here are some examples of my 3D ‘scratch building’:

A multitude of parts for the Airfix 1/72 Javelin

Current projects for the Airfix Scammell Tank Transporter

Some enlarged copies of parts to show the detail (these literally are the 1/72 components scaled up by the slicing software 250% making them approx 1/29th scale).

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

The current printing process is creating more components for the Airfix Scammell. Replacement front axle, revised mudguards etc

The printed and assembled item looks like this

Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Iggie is going to ‘test me’ with an interesting challenge to do with ‘War of the Worlds’!
Tony

Current build:
iggie

Post by iggie »

TeeELL wrote: October 26th, 2022, 3:26 pm Iggie is going to ‘test me’ with an interesting challenge to do with ‘War of the Worlds’!
He's got to find the drawings yet! (Or make his own up...) :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Was looking at ShaunW's post on the Sdkfz 7/1, and got me thinking, how hard would it be to 3D print 1/72 tracks for older kits that used vinyl ones?
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Muttzley wrote: November 9th, 2022, 3:47 pm Was looking at ShaunW's post on the Sdkfz 7/1, and got me thinking, how hard would it be to 3D print 1/72 tracks for older kits that used vinyl ones?
Well,
if you take a look back at my M7 build you will see that I created replacement tracks for that. Two reasons firstly the original vinyl tracks were unusable and secondly they were the wrong pattern for 1942 desert use.
I am going to have a go at decent representations of the tracks for the Airfix and Masterbox Mk1 tanks.
The challenge I had with the M7 was to ensure the tracks fitted correctly into the drive sprocket and have the correct curvature.
Tony

Current build:
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

Think you'd probably have the same issues with quite a few kits, where the vinyl tracks have a bit of stretch, they're able to take the vagueness of the mouldings into account.
Might be able get around it by replacing the kits drive sprocket with a new one with the tracks already moulded in position, might be a bit easier then trying to glue individual links into position at any rate!
At least the Mk.1 tracks should be relatively easy.
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Muttzley wrote: November 13th, 2022, 1:57 pm Think you'd probably have the same issues with quite a few kits, where the vinyl tracks have a bit of stretch, they're able to take the vagueness of the mouldings into account.
Might be able get around it by replacing the kits drive sprocket with a new one with the tracks already moulded in position, might be a bit easier then trying to glue individual links into position at any rate!
At least the Mk.1 tracks should be relatively easy.
When I created the tracks for the M7 I actually 3D designed them to go around the drive sprocket and sit absolutely correctly, also around the idler and the leading and trailing road wheels, after that it was a case of creating appropriate lengths of the straight sections.
The Mk1 tracks should be OK, I need to ensure I know where/how they articulate to the look right as they pass around the sharper corners of the horns.
Tony

Current build:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Airfix are releasing a New Tool Javelin! That’s pulled the carpet from under me! ;)
Tony

Current build:
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

TeeELL wrote: January 8th, 2023, 12:28 pm Airfix are releasing a New Tool Javelin! That’s pulled the carpet from under me! ;)
Maybe but you know how it goes, if you hadn't done all that work, they never would have released theirs. So we should all thank you.

David

Return to “Construction Tips”