W40K Space Marine - Paint Experiment

Whole chunks of real life...scaled down, figures in all scales...even footballers!
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

W40K Space Marine - Paint Experiment

Post by JamesPerrin »

As we get older and nostalgic for the things we used to have have as kids we are often struck by how small they seem compared to our memory - Wagon Wheels (biscuit) being the main touchstone in the UK. However as I ease myself back into mini painting is seems the converse is true as Space Marines and for that matter all of Games Workshop's figures are a lot bigger than I remember! This is probably due to them moving to injected plastic moulding and needing to rescale to get the same level of detail that could be achieved in white metal. Anyhow I digress, I bought this standard marine just to see what the plastic figures were like and to practice new techniques. One thing I wanted to try was the unusually colour palette used by the painters at CraftWorldStudio on Instagram, but they technique needs a in depth understanding of colour theory so I took a short cut suggested by Ninjon in a recent YouTube video which as to use strong dark tones as the base shadowing. So I picked two colours that seemed to work together and sprayed the darker from below and the other from above. The second colour was probably too light and more like a zenithal highlight. I worked both colours into my base colour to darken and lighten it as required. I tried to keep the range of colours used small too as I think this helps tie the areas of the figure together.

Here is the finished figure which I'm really happy with apart from the AK black primer which failed on my and started to rub off in areas, and required touch ups. A couple pics on the shadow base coats at the end which looked pretty cool as was and could just have details picked out an called down if were painted a squad to game with - I don't game.

Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
X12A
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: W40K Space Marine - Paint Experiment

Post by X12A »

James, I have absolutely no interest in these figures whatsoever but I must admit that does look pretty good! Nice one.
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

Same here. Never got bitten by that bug. But I´m fascinated by the artistry and the intricate details. The colour modulation on the armour is very good.
"We're going to need a bigger boat"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Excellent James. Having done a few 1/144 Gundams I’m interested
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Lovely work on that, James.

David
RayS

Post by RayS »

That looks great James, my elder son (he is 28) builds and paints these (and occasionally games as well) and he pours over Youtube videos trying to get these sorts of effects on his.
Ray
-----------------------
Muttzley
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Muttzley »

jssel wrote: January 13th, 2023, 2:00 pm Excellent James. Having done a few 1/144 Gundams I’m interested
Well worth looking at some of the gaming miniatures being produced for games like 40K or Battletech, you can find some very interesting figures, vehicles and scenery items, some are just right when you just want to paint something without worrying about references!
It's not just that, but trawling around in the 3D printed items, you quite often find bits and pieces that you had no idea you were looking for until you see them.
I've recently picked up 3D printed models of the Charioteer and Conqueror tanks in 1/72 scale, both models I've been looking for a long time.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Very impressive work James, especially at that relatively small scale!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Figures and Diorama”