1/700 Trumpeter Vittorio Veneto

If it goes on or under the wet stuff and doesn't fly, it's in here.
Bissyboat
Modelling Gent and Scholar

1/700 Trumpeter Vittorio Veneto

Post by Bissyboat »

Here´s my model of the Littorio Classs battleship Vittorio Veneto I did six years ago. Italy´s biggest battleship in the Regia Marina alongside Roma. There were four battleships, but Impero was never completed. Vittorio Veneto was heavily equipped with 9x381 mm guns and was a fast sea going vessel pushing over 30 knots. She measured over 237 m from bow to stern. The battleship was used as a raider hoping to stop british freighters going to Malta. Vittorio Veneto saw extensive service through the war. The British raid on Taranto in November 1940. Battle of Cape Spartivento in November 1940 and the Battle of Cape Matapan in March 1941.

Riddled by costly damages from uboat torpedos and torpedo bombers and fuel shortage the Vittorio Veneto seized all operations and was permenantly berthed at the docks. When the Italians surrendered the battleship to the allies in September 1943 she was annexed with the British warships in Egypt. After the war she was ferryed to Britain as a war prize and thereafter hulked in 1948 where her parts were sold as scraps.

This model is not a true representation of the Vittorio Veneto in September 1943, but she would have been seen with splinter camouflage as shown on the photos. The fundamental error on my part, but done deliberately was choosing scarlet red for the antifoul paint over the traditional green colour we see on the Italian battleships.

This subject was my biggest test with the airbrush that went miserably wrong on the aerial markings and the camouflage on the upper hull. A lot of the paint work had to be corrected with a paint brush to iron out the many areas left with nasty bleeds. Definitely the first and the last time painting boats with the airbrush. Weathering using Pigma Micron pen and oils. Highlights added to the edges using the dry brushing method. Rigging with Prym elastic thread and insulators made using superglue.

"We're going to need a bigger boat"
Clashcityrocker

Re: 1/700 Trumpeter Vittorio Veneto

Post by Clashcityrocker »

What a fabulous build. Love the dazzle camouflage.

Nigel
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Looks amazing
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Andy Dighton

Post by Andy Dighton »

That's stunning BB. Another fantastic build.
Best wishes
Andy

My post war RAF display team page. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=19491"
XX172 Life of a BAe Hawk 1977-2006. https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=23975
Bissyboat

Post by Bissyboat »

JamesPerrin wrote: February 13th, 2023, 9:12 am Looks amazing
Andy Dighton wrote: February 13th, 2023, 9:57 am That's stunning BB. Another fantastic build.
Clashcityrocker wrote: February 13th, 2023, 5:39 am What a fabulous build. Love the dazzle camouflage.

Nigel
Thank you so much for your appreciations. :beer:
"We're going to need a bigger boat"

Return to “Ships, Boats and Submarines”