Air brush

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
rob_van_riel
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Air brush

Post by rob_van_riel »

rob_van_riel wrote: April 8th, 2023, 10:41 amis a major part of the chemical cocktail that makes up cellulose thinner anyway
Couldn't resist some digging..

Depeding on brand, cellulose thinners are labeled as containing acetone, n-butylacetate, ethylbenzene, propane-2-ol (IPA, isopropylalcohol) or acetone, ethylbenzene, n-butylacetate, xylene, butane-1-ol.

Of these, ethylbenzene is on the suspect list for carcinogenicity, but tests have always been ambiguous on this. Xylene is suspected of rotting your brain with long term exposure (painter's disease). The rest will leave you drunk/high as a kite in case of acute overexposure to the vapours, but little or nothing in the long term.
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

If it hadn't have been for the fact that I already owned an airbrush and a large compressor than I would not have got back into model making again.
I used to make models many years ago but got fed up of brush painting them, they never looked very good to me.
My airbrush was bought exclusively for touching up motorcycle frames and I already had the compressor for air tools.
Then one day I was nosing around on the internet and saw the Hobbyboss 1/16 Tiger and got to wondering if I could use my airbrush to paint one....... and now I'm here!
I wouldn't be without my cheap double action Chinese gravity fed airbrush, I think I got a good one as it has done everything I have needed it to do and it is very well made, there is no brand name on it but I would definitely buy another identical one if I could find one.
I bought a cheap double action suction feed airbrush from Machine Mart and have only used it twice, the second time just to see if it was as bad as I thought it was the first time I used it.
I got lucky with my Chinese airbrush but if it dies I wouldn't waste money buying another cheap one.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

David Silver wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:54 amI wouldn't be without my cheap double action Chinese gravity fed airbrush, I think I got a good one as it has done everything I have needed it to do and it is very well made, there is no brand name on it but I would definitely buy another identical one if I could find one.
With the cheap Chinese stuff (and some lower end non-Chinese and/or not-so-cheap stuff), odds are good it's a Fengda, regardless of branding. If it looks identical to one from the Fenda 130x or 137x series, it probably is just that, and any parts will be interchangable. In any case, my cheaper than dirt Fengdas (multiple, at these prices I can afford not to swap needle sizes, but simply have several complete brushes lying around) served me very well over the years.
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

rob_van_riel wrote: April 24th, 2023, 9:41 am
David Silver wrote: April 24th, 2023, 8:54 amI wouldn't be without my cheap double action Chinese gravity fed airbrush, I think I got a good one as it has done everything I have needed it to do and it is very well made, there is no brand name on it but I would definitely buy another identical one if I could find one.
With the cheap Chinese stuff (and some lower end non-Chinese and/or not-so-cheap stuff), odds are good it's a Fengda, regardless of branding. If it looks identical to one from the Fenda 130x or 137x series, it probably is just that, and any parts will be interchangable. In any case, my cheaper than dirt Fengdas (multiple, at these prices I can afford not to swap needle sizes, but simply have several complete brushes lying around) served me very well over the years.
Thanks Rob, I have just done a search and mine is identical to the Fengda BD-135. I use methylated spirits to deep clean it and have had people saying that I will destroy the rubber gasket inside, only it is not rubber it is teflon. I will see about buying another now I know what to look for.
flakmonkey

Post by flakmonkey »

For under £30, the Fengda FE-183K is something of a major upgrade.
Would ya like to learn to fly? Would ya? Would you like to see me try?

Return to “Construction Tips”