Vac-form canopy surgery in 1/72 Tips please

Want to know all about building a model?
This is where to look for tips on everything from gluing to filling, and scratchbuilding to filing ...
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Vac-form canopy surgery in 1/72 Tips please

Post by CementNotGlue »

Never tried vac-form canopy before, Can I separate the hood without destroying it? Any tips and suggestions most welcome.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Vac-form canopy surgery in 1/72 Tips please

Post by JamesPerrin »

Mark the around the edge of the canopy with a permanent marker getting as close as you can to the frame. You can stuff the frame with plasticene if it's particularly fragile to help support the shape.

Use a pair of small sharp scissors to remove the waste plastic. Sewing scissors are excellent for this. Don't try removing the bulk of the plastic all at once just keep chopping away at it. As a final pass try to get as close to the edge of the line you drew.

Use a hard (not sponge) coarse sanding stick and finesse the shape working along the edge, not across it. Keep dry-fitting the piece to the model to see where needs attention. For an advanced fit, you can try bevelling the inside of the frame to match the fuselage's curves.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Sorry, I've just read that again are you also wishing to separate the hood from the windscreen? If so it might be easier before you remove the waste plastic. Packing it with plasticene would be a definite help. Use one or more layers of tape to mark the separation line between the screen and hood - this will help protect the hood from slips.

Use a fresh scalpel knife and very lightly score along the separation line using the tape as a guide. This is defining the path of the cut not trying to dig in, repeat this until the blade freely follosw the line you've made. Just a matter now of making repeated passes until you cut through. Just be patient!
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

I agree with James. Blu-Tac is my choice for stuffing the inside.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Great tips, thanks guys
Feel lot more confident now.

Return to “Construction Tips”