Rye Field Model 1:35 T-34/85

Millitary miscellany; Tanks, AFV, Trucks and other Soft-Skin vehicles etc.
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Rye Field Model 1:35 T-34/85

Post by Canuck2016 »

Good day all!

This is Rye Field Model’s 1:35 T-34/85, incidentally my first kit by this manufacturer.

RFM gives you a nice photo-etch fret for the engine grille, retaining straps for the exterior fuel tanks and other small items, a very good decal sheet with markings for six vehicles, and a piece of string for the tow cable. I’m not usually a fan of this solution, but in this case the string is very “non-fuzzy” and looks good with a bit of paint. No interior or figures are provided. The tires are moulded separately from the road wheels which means less masking. Good news for me, as this is not a part of the hobby which I enjoy! They fit well, and look like one piece once installed. Tracks are link & length, and also fit well.

The kit builds up nicely, although some attachment points are small and weak. This was particularly frustrating in the running gear, where the attachments between the suspension links and hull, and between the axles and road wheels, are vague and wobbly, making it difficult to line up the wheels. Why, RFM, why? Aside from this gripe, I enjoyed the build.

This was built mostly OOB, with the following exceptions: wire grab handles and tie-downs, putty “cast texture” on the turret, putty weld seam on the turret and bow gun, and bits of string and tissue for the stowage on the fenders. Oh, and a storage bin from the spares box, and an unditching beam made from an applewood stick stolen from our pet rabbit! Looking at it by the cold light of day, I think the weld seam looks grotesquely overdone, but this was my first attempt so I see it as a learning opportunity!

All the best for what’s left of the weekend!

DavidWomby
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Rye Field Model 1:35 T-34/85

Post by DavidWomby »

That looks so realistic!

David
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work all round I reckon :)

Nigel
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Beautifully weathered, finished, and photographed. What do you use for your photo set-up?
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Well turned out.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

Thanks to all for the kind comments!

Migrant, regarding my photo set-up, it depends on the weather. In the winter or during bad weather I use a light box which I bought at a photo shop. When it's set up it makes a cube that's about 16" x 16" x 16" which is fine for most models. When the weather's nice, I just use a piece of Bristol board pinned to the back deck. Cheap, simple & effective! :)

David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

That is fantastic as always Canuck. How do you get the worn/rusty effect around the edge of the fenders?
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, Canuck. Trying out new techniques is always a bit fraught but I think your first effort with the welding is not too bad and is something I've thought about trying but haven't yet had a go. I'm sure you'll get very much better at it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Marvellous work!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Canuck2016
Active Participant

Post by Canuck2016 »

David Silver wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:47 am That is fantastic as always Canuck. How do you get the worn/rusty effect around the edge of the fenders?
Thanks, David! The rust on the edges of the fenders was done by dampening the fender with some thinner, then brushing on some rust-coloured artist oil paint and letting it run down until it pools on the edge. Then I just let it dry and it naturally makes the pattern you see in the photos. if there's too much, it's easy to lighten the effect with a paintbrush dipped in thinner. :)
David Silver
Active Participant

Post by David Silver »

Canuck2016 wrote: April 16th, 2023, 3:42 pm
David Silver wrote: April 15th, 2023, 6:47 am That is fantastic as always Canuck. How do you get the worn/rusty effect around the edge of the fenders?
Thanks, David! The rust on the edges of the fenders was done by dampening the fender with some thinner, then brushing on some rust-coloured artist oil paint and letting it run down until it pools on the edge. Then I just let it dry and it naturally makes the pattern you see in the photos. if there's too much, it's easy to lighten the effect with a paintbrush dipped in thinner. :)
Thanks Canuck, muchly appreciated.
Uhrmacher
Onto the Clever Stuff, Now.

Post by Uhrmacher »

Better than Pinewood-Studios
Dirkpitt289
NUMA's Auto Mechanic

Post by Dirkpitt289 »

Nicely built, I like this a lot
.... Dirk